Chapter 10: Well, That Went Well

Chapter Ten

{~Zebastian~}

I knew that this would be one of the worst nights of my life, I knew I would attack Xephren, I knew he would look at Vera in that way that he does. I knew I would lose control. What I didn't know was that I couldn't hurt her... physically, emotionally, or mentally.

"So, Vera, father tells me you're Human." Seraphina said with a genuine smile.

"Sera..." I said in a warning tone.

"No, it's okay, Zebastian." Vera smiled. "I am."

"How old are you?" Daemon asked with a cocky grin. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Not old enough for you." I said.

"I'm sure if she's too young for me, then she's waaaaay too young for you, uncle." He chuckled making the table laugh.

"Sixteen." She said. Everyone choked and stopped. I sighed heavily.

"Great." I muttered.

"You're one... mature sixteen year old." Skye said.

"How-"

"She's a Woman of Wonderland." Xephren spoke up.

"Did anyone ask you to speak, coward?" I spat at him.

"Zebastian." Mother and father said sharply. I put my hands up in surrender.

"I said I'd try, father." I said and looked over to Vera who gave me a reassuring hand.

"Relax." She said softly.

"How long have you been in Wonderland?" Adam asked. Seraphina punched him in the arm.

"You don't need to know that, you don't have to answer that." Seraphina said.

"No, actually this is my first year. I was taken from my home and brought here about a month ago." Vera said.

"How long have you been with Zebastian?" Rhys asked.

"Since I got here." She said honestly. They all sighed in relief. "What? You guys thought I was a whore?" They shrugged nods.

"Sort of... yeah." They said. Vera and I laughed.

"Vera is too stubborn to be a whore." I sighed. "Hell, she was terrified of me for a while. It took a lot for me to claim her."

"And you didn't wait for marriage?" My mother asked. "You ruined her innocence and purity!"

"Her intentions are innocent, and her heart is pure." I said. Vera laughed.

"Where I come from, we marry if we're in love." Vera said.

"So are you saying you two aren't in love?" Seraphina asked.

"I am, but I know that Zebastian can't." Vera said. Father met my gaze and raised his brow. No, she doesn't know.

"My son needs a queen!" My mother said.

"He needs something stable." Adam chuckled. I rolled my eyes.

"Honestly, I'm not stable, no woman is stable." Vera said with a laugh.

"Agreed!" Seraphina and mother said. "We women are no longer the weaklings men have deemed us as."

"Compared to us men, women are weak." Father said.

"I love a woman who puts up a challenge." Daemon said.

"You're not even old enough to fuck." I said.