Strained Meeting

Several days after encountering Ulun and Hanu at Dagan's golden rock, Flat Rocks organized a group to visit the Violent One's bode, large enough to comfortably outnumber the Violent Ones but not overwhelming numbers. Esri and Saba were the only women who went. Saba would speak with Riga, and Esri would try to talk with Ulun's mate, Carthan.

The Flat Rocks group made no effort to hide themselves and timed their walk to arrive mid-morning at the bode.

Esri and Saba grasped each other's hands as they neared the place where they last saw Dagan's body. Esri leaned toward Saba, "Let's not look. We'll stay back, see where the women go, and sit near them."

Ulun and the other men from the Violent Ones' bode sat in an arc in front of the largest cave, their spears within reach. The men from Flat Rocks sat opposite, with Tars and Barsa in the middle. Esri noticed Ulun tracking her movements. She said to Saba, "Ulun is watching me. It's better if you try to speak with Carthan and I'll go to Riga." Saba nodded.

The four women remaining in the Violent Ones' bode sat off to one side of the men. Esri and Saba joined the women who, though not welcoming, didn't motion for Esri and Saba to go away. The women sat mutely, faces turned toward Ulun.

Barsa and Tars did most of the talking, explaining that the people of Flat Rocks sought to heal the past and live peacefully from now on. They repeated much of what was said before to the Violent Ones about the way of living at Flat Rocks, how it was in many ways better than before the Ash Rain. And, as other times, Ulun stared at them uninterested.

Barsa shifted the conversation to talk about issues that appealed more directly to Ulun. The plan was to tell stories about how people were venerated and remembered for brave deeds. Use this as an enticement for Ulun to live by the Agreements and earn similar honours. Barsa was delegated to take on this delicate task. He started talking about Dagan and hardly began when Ulun held up his hand, cut off Barsa, and pointed at Tars. "You, we'll talk alone. Inside." He motioned to the large cave behind him.

No one moved for a moment. Tars stood and briefly turned to Barsa, who spoke quietly. "It was to be expected that Ulun would demand control, even when out-numbered. Geslo is right. We must be careful. But if Ulun is finally choosing to speak, we should listen." Tars nodded and followed Ulun into the cave. It was risky but unlikely that Ulun would try to harm Tars with so many from Flat Rocks at the bode.

At first no one outside the cave spoke. Gradually people shifted into small groups. The men stayed separated in their bodes. Esri began speaking with Riga, and Saba sat near Carthan, waiting for some acknowledgment from Ulun's mate.

Riga said, "Why did Saba not come sit by me?"

Esri said, "She wanted me to tell you about Nagar and her End Days. It's still hard for Saba to speak about Nagar."

"Nagar is gone?" Riga gasped, tears forming.

"She talked about you, right at the end."

"She did?"

"She wanted you to come back to Flat Rocks - with Hanu."

"Nagar was like a mother to me." Riga paused. "But what about you, Esri. Do you want me to come back to Flat Rocks?"

"It's hard with everything that's happened, but I've seen with Geslo how he lives by the Agreements. We are starting to trust that his violent ways are done, and that the days ahead can be good with him." Esri laid her hand on Riga's arm. "I know you're good, Riga. You took Wilki-Dumu from Ulun and handed him to me when it was dangerous to do so. I don't know Hanu. He has to decide how he wants to be."

"What happened with Geslo?"

"It was hard for him at first and for those he hurt in the past. It still is, but every day is better, especially since the Healing Time." Esri explained the Healing Time to Riga.

Before she finished, Ulun and Tars came out of the cave, and Tars motioned that they should go.

It was mid-afternoon. The Flat Rocks group walked until nearly dark before setting up a sleeping place. Tars looked grim when he left the Violent Ones' cave and didn't speak until they were seated around the fire that night.

"Soon Ulun and his bode will move near Flat Rocks, and we'll talk further about how they will live with us," said Tars.

Nat said, "And the Agreements? They're going to be at Flat Rocks and not pledge to the Agreements?"

Kai said, "We can't have that."

Tars continued. "I agree. Ulun is not saying he will pledge to the Agreements and it troubles me, but something has changed for him. We should allow him to be near us, at least for a while, and watch him closely."

Piram smirked, "You don't understand the ways of someone like Ulun. He will do more to change Flat Rocks than Flat Rocks can change him."

Esri said, "From speaking with Riga, I believe there are some in Ulun's bode who would pledge to the Agreements and go through a Healing Time. I wonder if Ulun knows this."

Kai said, "But would they do a Healing Time if Ulun is near? It was different for Geslo."

Barsa said, "It will bring troubles to have Ulun near, but it makes it possible to divide them with the Parting. Nagar was right. We can only end Ulun's ways if he loses power over others. But I don't understand why he has chosen to come close. He can try to influence us, but he knows we are so many more."

"They're hungry," Saba said.

"They didn't seem hungry to me," said Piram.

"True, but they offered us no food. That was strange. Ulun likes to show how they are great hunters," said Tars.

Kai laughed, "And they didn't look fat!"

Barsa said, "Let's let Saba speak. What did you hear?"

"First I sat near Carthan and the old slave woman. When Tars went into the cave, Carthan moved away from me and the slave woman began speaking. At first, I thought it was strange what she was saying, but slowly I understood that she wanted to ask me about a big white cat."

Esri said, "Grilu's cat!"

"Yes, Grilu's cat. She knew the cat helped you and Wilki get away. She also said that the white cat was stopping their hunters from killing any large animals. Their bode is hungry and she thinks Ulun is afraid of the cat."

Tars stared into the fire. "That explains it."