Victoria Day Fireworks

As the doctor promised, the cut on Esri's arm left only a thin scar.

During the long Victoria Day weekend in May, Esri spent every day working in Clea's garden. She didn't mind. She was grateful to earn the extra money, and it meant avoiding outings with her Dad, Jilly, and Randi. They would have a better time without her anyway.

It hardly felt like work. Esri loved being in Clea's yard and learning about all the plants, how to take care of them, and being outdoors was wonderful.

Clea planted a vegetable garden in her backyard in the open area near the house. Beyond were several perennial beds, with many herbs and medicinal plants, various berries, wandering paths, and seating spots in shady nooks. Most of the back half of the yard Clea left as a natural forest merging into the ravine park. As the wild springtime flowers appeared in the forest – bloodroot, trillium and others - Clea took Esri and Jilly to see the plants' short-lived flower displays in hidden areas of the woods.

Weeks earlier, Clea and Esri had started a variety of vegetable plants indoors. Most were ready to start planting in the garden. Under Clea's guidance, Esri prepared the soil in the vegetable plot and they discussed what they would plant where. Thomas sat outside, a light blanket over his legs, reading a book. Willa napped contently on his lap.

"You like this work, don't you Esri?" said Clea.

"I do. I never thought I would like gardening. I thought it would be boring but it's not, at least not with you. I guess with all that dreaming about living in Flat Rocks, I'm used to being outdoors." They all laughed. It was a relief for Esri when she could spend time alone with Clea and Thomas and speak freely about life at Flat Rocks.

"And, how are you feeling about Randi these days?" asked Clea.

"Oh, I don't know. My Dad and Jilly like her so I'm trying not to say much, but she bugs me. I don't trust something about her, but maybe it's just that she's so different from my Mom. I don't understand why my Dad is attracted to her. She's really pretty and all, but she's so into being made-up and fancy clothes. My Dad is a good-looking, super nice guy but we're poor, I'd think Randi'd want to latch onto some rich guy. I'm sure she could."

"Well, you never know. Maybe there are things missing in her life that aren't the things you can buy with money," said Clea.

"I guess. But I'm not sure she's the greatest influence on Jilly. She's always buying her lots of stuff. Jilly just has to mention something she saw on TV, and Randi gets it for her."

"Does she buy things for you too?"

"Oh god no. She did at first, but I told her not to and I told Dad to tell her not to, and she finally took the hint and stopped. My Mom was really big on living simply and not relying on owning things to be happy. I guess I'm more like her. My Mom would have done well at Flat Rocks." Esri smiled faintly.

"Are you and your friends still planning on watching the fireworks at Ashbridge's Bay tonight?" asked Clea.

"Yup, that's the plan. Even Ada's parents agreed to let her go."

* * *

That evening, the wide beach along Lake Ontario was jammed with people who had come to watch the city's largest Victoria Day fireworks display. Esri, Ada, and Luka met up with other friends from school and they gathered on blankets spread out on the sand. The fireworks didn't start until 10:00 p.m., when the sky was good and dark. After they were over, Esri said to Ada and Luka, "C'mon, let's walk by the lake away from the lights and look at the stars. The buses will be jammed now anyway."

The three walked farther into the park and sat on a bench overlooking the lake. They snuggled together under the blanket Luka brought. He sat in the middle, his long arms encircling the two girls, pulling them all close together.

"Everyone cozy?" he said. "Okay? What now?"

Esri looked across the lake and up at the sky. She knew the stars would not look like they did at Flat Rocks, still, much was familiar. How many pre-dawn hours had she spent with Zura, watching the seasonal march of Angry Snake and the other Travelers?

"Okay, see this tree trunk?" she pointed at a tall white pine toward the left of them. "Just to the right is a bright star, down low, near the horizon."

"Right, yes, I see it," Ada said.

"Me too," said Luka.

"Ok, now hold up your hand and measure the position of the star compared to the tree trunk and remember that," Esri demonstrated. "For me, when I hold my hand out like this, it's about the width from my little finger to my thumb."

Ada and Luka positioned their hands in front of themselves like Esri had done. "Got it," Luka said. "What next?"

"We wait a little and look at the other stars," Esri said. "I think I can find the North Star." They looked up, found the few constellations they knew and followed the blinking lights of airplanes but mainly they sat quietly gazing at the sky.

Luka murmured, "You know, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass all of my classes. My mom's like so amazed. I just want you two to know that when I'm a famous Hollywood actor, I won't forget you. I'll mention you in my Oscar acceptance speech."

Esri and Ada laughed. Luka said, "No seriously. I know I joke around a lot, but you two have done some serious butt-saving for me. I just want to say thanks." The girls said in unison, "Aw, Luka!"

They were quiet again for a while and Ada spoke, "I want to say thanks too. I never would have had the nerve to join the computer club if you two hadn't pushed me to. I assumed it would be all nerdy guys who would make fun of a nerdy girl who looks like she belongs in Grade 5."

Esri said, "Oh Ada. You're so totally amazing! And now they're always hanging around you. You're like the queen bee of the computer club."

Ada said, "Well, I don't know about that, but you two mean a lot to me."

Luka said, "What about you, Es? You're so, so sensible and good at a lot of stuff. Probably would be perfectly fine without us."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous. I would fall apart without you two. I heard someone say recently how important it is to bring people smiles and that's exactly what you two do, every time I see you." Esri stuck her hand out toward the pine tree trunk and spread her fingers, "Look, how far our star has moved!"

Ada and Luka likewise measured the star's movement with their hands. Luka said, "Wow, while we've been sitting here our little star has really been putting on some miles."

Ada said, "Amazing to think about that. All of that universe out there is moving along. I've never felt it like this before. Is this what you wanted us to see, Esri?"

"Yeah, exactly. I think it's exciting to see how there are these movements and rhythms happening around us that are so way bigger than we are, but we kind of don't notice them a lot of the time."

They sat a little longer and Ada said, "We should probably go. I'll let my parents know we're on our way. Do you want to phone your dad, Esri?"

"Sure, when you're done, thanks."