#6 SHELL BEAD PEOPLE - Grade 10

First day, their second year in high school, Esri, Ada, and Luka walked to school together.

"This really feels different than a year ago. Remember how nervous we were about starting high school?" said Ada.

Luka said, "You and Esri were nervous. Me, I knew I'd be luminous."

"What? New school year, new word, Luka? Is everyone now going to be luminous instead of incandescent?" Ada nudged him. "Anyway, you were a wreck a year ago. You babbled all the way to school."

"That's what I do, and you'd miss it if I didn't, right? Right, Esri? Hello, you with us here?"

Esri had fallen behind them, absorbed in her own thoughts.

Ada turned around, "Es, you ok?"

Esri looked at Ada and Luka who had stopped in front of her. "Ah, sure. I'm just worried about some stuff."

"Like what? We're early. We can take our time getting to school. Is it about your Dad and Randi?" asked Ada.

"Boy, she is one hot babe," said Luka.

"Luka, not helpful," said Ada. "What is it Esri?"

"Yeah, that's part of it, a big part of it. He's staying overnight at her condo sometimes. So I guess that they're having sex. I'm kind of freaked out about it. It feels like such a betrayal of my Mom, though I don't think my Dad should be alone his whole life. I don't know what to think, but maybe I'd feel ok if it wasn't Randi. I don't like her. I've tried. I don't hate her, I guess. I dunno. Maybe I'd feel this way about anyone my Dad was with."

Luka said, "I know what that's like. I hate it when my mom is dating someone. Our life doesn't feel normal. She gets all excited and happy at first. Then something happens and the guy acts like a jerk. And they treat me like I'm some kind of alien being and could I please make myself scarce. There was one guy, Milo. He was great, but ended up moving to BC for work. I think she's kind of given up."

"Jilly likes being around Randi, but I think it's because Randi buys her lots of stuff. God, she's even started buying clothes for my Dad. I feel like she's trying to make him over. It's like you said, Luka. It doesn't seem like our normal life anymore and I miss it. I keep hoping my Dad and Randi will decide they're too different, but that's not happening."

"Have you talked to your Dad?" asked Ada.

"A little. He knows I don't like Randi too much and is always telling me how nice she is, that she's hurt that I don't hang around when she's there, and how she'd like to get to know me. Blah, blah, blah."

"Is there anything else, Esri? You made it sound like there was more stuff bothering you," said Ada.

"I found out last night that Nicole has decided to move back in with Darren," said Esri.

"Eesh, that guy's a walking time bomb. That can't be good," said Luka.

"I know," sighed Esri.

* * *

After not playing in the summer soccer rec league, Esri was looking forward to the fall soccer season at school. The previous year, even though she was only in Grade 9, she was one of the starting midfielders in the spring. With some of the top players graduating, she felt confident about her position on the team.

The first practice was a bit rough. Though Esri spent the summer doing lots of physical work in Clea's garden and took long runs regularly through the ravines, she felt out of sync with the team. Many of them had played together in the summer league, including some of the new, Grade 9's trying out for the team.