Debriefing

Esri was grateful that it was Saturday and she could spend the day with Clea and Thomas. And since Joe wasn't bringing Jilly until lunchtime, Esri would have a few hours alone with Clea and Thomas to tell them about Randi and get caught up on life at Flat Rocks.

As was their usual way, Clea and Thomas listened closely to Esri, only asking a few questions to clarify or provide more details. There were fewer questions, as Esri had become adept at providing them with the full scope of what was said, who said it, how they said it, and people's facial expressions. Even when she was conveying serious activities, sometimes they couldn't help laughing as Esri attempted to mimic the mannerisms and intonations of the people at Flat Rocks.

Clea said, "Oh my, these are difficult times at Flat Rocks. I know you're worried about Zura. You need to be forthright with her and tell her everything that happened with Dagan and the Violent Ones. She may find it difficult to give you the comfort you want from her right now."

"I know, and I will tell her everything. I think about when I lost my Mom. My Dad and I had a hard time comforting each other. We were each feeling so sad that we didn't have space to take on more sadness from the other person. I think that's what you're talking out."

"And how are you and your Dad now?"

"We're better."

Thomas said, "Despite everything that's going on at Flat Rocks and what happened to Dagan, you seem more at peace today, Esri. Is it knowing that Randi is out of your life?"

"Oh, for sure, Thomas, for sure. I'm worried she may try something, who knows what, but I feel I have my Dad back. But even once we get completely rid of her, I guess that's not the end of the Disruptors, is it?"

"I doubt it."

Esri said, "I worry how my Mending will end. The Violent Ones are much fewer but they can still do a lot of harm. I wish that more from their bode had wanted to join us at Flat Rocks. With the Ash Rain survivors, it took time for them to trust us but they were peaceful already, so there was no threat. This is different."

Thomas said, "Yes, this is different. You're asking people to give up ways of living that they've always known. For Ulun and his family, they would have to give up power and control. And this might also be true for the oldest slaves if they have wielded power over newer slaves."

"Now that many of the slaves are freed, some at Flat Rocks feel we should go back and kill everyone at the Violent Ones bode and get rid of them. But, of course, that would mean Riga too, and hardly anyone is comfortable with that. And if she is spared, why not some of the others?" said Esri.

Clea said, "Do you think there is any chance that will happen? Is is possible that some from Flat Rocks might go and kill everyone?"

"No, I don't think it will happen, because there's also a lot of talk that if the attack had been a slaughter, it's certain that innocent people, likely some of the children, would have died or been badly hurt. And, of course Piram, who would normally be leading the charge on being forceful, does not want any harm to come to Riga, so for now, he's in favor of waiting and watching them closely."

"Anybody home?" It was Joe calling from the front door. "I've brought a fairy godmother." He and Jilly came walking into the kitchen and Jilly went running to Clea and gave her a big hug. Joe smiled and winked at Esri. "I only have to take care of a few things this afternoon. I shouldn't be back too late, Esri. And, great news, I heard the City Hall ice rink is already open. I thought we could go tomorrow."

"Yay, yay, yay," Jilly danced around.

"Sounds, great, dad," said Esri.