The Mending

Clea and Thomas moved as hastily as they could manage to Esri's apartment. Thomas said, "I know I'm slowing you down, Clea, but I can't let you go by yourself. It's too dangerous. At least with two of us we can create more diversion if we need to. Besides, there's nothing I enjoy more than disrupting a Disruptor," he chortled.

When they got to Esri's apartment, Joe opened the door. "Clea, Thomas! Come in, what brings you here? Esri's not home, but I'm expecting her any minute."

"I know. She's at my house. She was walking home and started feeling dizzy and nauseous, so she stopped by and I had her lie down. I said I'd come get you," said Clea.

"What? What's wrong with her? She seemed fine when she left."

"I do think she'll be fine, Joe. I don't want you to worry. I think it's one of those stomach flu bugs. Sometimes they come on fast. I'm guessing she'll be through the worst of it in several hours, but instead of moving her, it would be good if you and Jilly came over. You can even spend the night. It's no trouble on my part. I've got plenty of room."

"Ok, yes, of course we'll come. But I don't want to impose on you, Clea. Maybe Esri will feel well enough to come home soon. Hey Jills," he turned around. "We're going to Clea's for a little while. Esri stopped there because she got sick on the way home." He turned to Clea. "We need to get you a phone. I'm sorry you two had to walk over here."

Thomas said, "Ah, Joe, we should get going. I'm sure Esri's fine, but we should get back. I didn't want Clea to go out on her own."

They rode down on the elevator. Clea and Thomas worried what they might find when they got to the lobby. There was no dead mouse smell by Esri's apartment. Maybe the Disruptors were still regrouping after the incident in the ravine. The lobby was empty but the smell of the Disruptors was overpowering. Thomas leaned close to Clea and muttered, "They're inside someplace, maybe in the stairwell or the other elevator."

Clea said, "Joe, look, you and Jilly should hurry on ahead. I'm worried about Esri. Thomas and I are slow. We'll be along shortly."

"Sure, c'mon, Jills. I'll carry you and we'll go fast." Joe thought it odd that Clea and Thomas had left Esri alone if she was so sick, but didn't say anything. He was anxious to get to her.

Joe picked up Jilly and ran ahead to Clea's. Thomas opened the lobby door and pushed Clea outside, "You go on too. Esri needs you. I'll take care of things here. Joe and Jilly will be safe in a few minutes. I can delay them for that long."

"But, Thomas."

"You must not challenge me. This is why I came back to be with you. It couldn't please me more to do my part. Don't deny this to me." He closed the door. Clea stood outside and watched as Thomas rapidly pushed his cane through the front door handles, stood with his back against the doors, and his arms looped around either end of the cane. Randi and the Tall Man emerged from the stairwell.

Clea heard them yelling, "Get him away from the door!", "We don't have time.", "Pull him off the door!" Randi worked at pulling Thomas's arms from around the ends of the cane. The Tall Man began punching Thomas, landing many blows to his head.

Clea stood outside the door and cried, "No, Thomas, no." Yelling as loud as she could manage, "Help him, someone, help him! Call the police." She knew Thomas would hang on with every last molecule of strength left in him.

Thomas's head lolled down and the Disruptors unwound Thomas's arms from around his cane. Soon they would be through the door. But Thomas had succeeded in stalling the Disruptors a vital few minutes. Joe and Jilly should be safe or would be soon. Clea did not move and kept yelling.

"Clea! What's the matter?" She turned. It was Luka.

"Thomas needs help."

Thomas lay by the front door. The Disruptors were gone. Luka called an ambulance and the police. They arrived in minutes. Thomas was unconscious and not moving. The ambulance crew carefully transferred Thomas to a stretcher and sped off to the hospital. Clea described the assailants to the police. She was doubtful the Disruptors would ever be found, and they never were.

While Clea and Luka were talking to the police, Luka contacted Ada. He asked her to go to Clea's and let Joe know what had happened, and that Clea would be much later but to please wait for her even if Esri was feeling better. Clea was relieved when Ada returned and confirmed that she spoke with Joe and that both Jilly and Esri were asleep. Joe would sleep on the couch, and Clea should wake him when she got home.

Clea tried to present a reasonable story to the police about what happened but it was difficult to concoct something that made sense of why Thomas's cane was threaded through the front door handles. She bought time by appearing flustered and confused and the police agreed to talk to her further tomorrow. Plus she was anxious to get to the hospital. Luka came with her. Once they got there, they were told that Thomas was stable for now. There was little they could do but watch the beeping monitors connected to Thomas's motionless body.

It was well past midnight by the time Clea arrived back at her house. Joe was stretched out on the couch and sat up when Clea came in. They talked for a long time, and he finally convinced her to lie down for a while. They would go back to the hospital in the morning and let Esri and Jilly sleep through the night.

Esri woke in the bed in the small room off of Clea's kitchen, with Willa nestled in the covers beside her. Clea sat on a chair next to the bed, "You slept a long time. That's good."

"Wow, I really conked out. I fell asleep before you got back. Clea, is everyone all right? Dad and Jilly, are they here?" Esri sat up.

"Yes, yes, they're here. Your Dad and Jilly spent the night. They're still sleeping. We stayed up late. I wanted to speak to you first. I hope that's all right."

"Yes, as long as they're safe. Did anything happen with the Disruptors?"

"First, tell me about your dream. What happened with the Parting?"

"It worked. I think it worked, Clea! The Parting happened. Riga and Hanu came with us. I talked with them a lot until late in the night." She grinned. "Zura gave Ulun and his group something to make them sleep. We were able to leave without waking them."

"And you don't think Ulun or Otom or someone will go after Hanu as soon as they wake up?"

"They'll be scared off," said Esri. "At the end of the dream, I was walking with Grilu and we were holding hands and singing. We were sad and a little scared. Zura told us not to look back until we were well away. Finally, I did turn around, and far behind us we saw his cat - Grilu's big white cat with the crossed-eyes. And it felt like everything would be all right."

Clea sighed deeply and looked down at her hands circling the mug of tea on her lap.

Esri said, "What's wrong? It's good what happened, don't you think?"

"Yes, I believe it is good. It's very good. Your Mending will start a new ripple of how humans behave, and before long we should start seeing the effect. As Thomas said, 'it will bring a peace tsunami.'"

"Why are you crying?"

"I didn't want to tell you right away. But I have to, you'll know soon enough. It's Thomas. Thomas saved us last night, but . . ." she couldn't continue.

"What?"

"Thomas is in the hospital. He's not conscious and they don't know if he'll pull through."

"Oh my god, Clea, no!"

She told Esri what happened.

"Oh Clea. That's terrible."

"Thomas is very old and frail. But he still has the heart of a hero. But I don't know if that will be enough this time."

Tears ran down Esri's face. "Clea, I'm so sorry. He's your Guide and your good friend. And he's been my Guide and friend too."

"Yes. He is all of those things and so much more. I'm sad and heartbroken. But Thomas told me frequently that he was ready to go. I know he may not survive this but, Esri, I do know how good he felt about being able to do this one last great thing for you and me, and most importantly, for the Mending."