Chapter 20

When it was time for work, I regretfully grabbed the car keys and drove to the store. When I got inside, I saw Sabrina, but she had a slightly confused look on her face, as if she was thinking extremely hard about something. I frowned and walked up to her.

"Hey." I said. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Oh. Hey. I was wondering, did you see anything happen today in school? Chris came to my house with a bloody lip, and he wouldn't tell me what happened." she said. I nodded.

"Yeah, um, actually he kind of beat up my boyfriend." I said, watching her closely to see her reaction.

"Oh, they don't like each other?" she asked.

"No... mostly because I used to date Chris...he was the ex boyfriend I told you about." I said slowly, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. Why was I doing this favor for Chris? He didn't deserve it, especially after what he had done to Lucas.

"But I thought that...you said your ex boyfriend cheated on you, and besides, Chris has only been here for a few weeks and I've been dating him ever since he got here." she said.

"Yeah, he did cheat on me." I said. It was killing me to tell her this, but then I saw the pieces click in her head and she gasped.

"So you're saying that Chris dated you while he was still dating me?!" she asked, even though I was sure she already knew the answer. I just nodded, and she put away the cat she was holding and then turned to glare at me.

"And you never told me this because..."

"When you told me who you were dating, I didn't tell you because I didn't want to ruin your relationship." I said.

"Then why are you telling me now?!" she said. Jeez, this was so confusing.

"Because...you deserve to know." I said finally. I felt horrible. I couldn't understand why Chris didn't do this himself. He got other people to do his dirty work for him.

"I don't believe you. Chris wouldn't do something like that." she said firmly, although I knew she was just trying to convince herself. I sighed.

"Okay, you don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you what I know." I said.

"You know what, don't talk to me. Just stay away from me." she said, tears welling up in her eyes. She dropped everything she was holding and ran out the door, getting in her car and leaving. I hung my head. Well, I had done what Chris asked, but now I had lost a friend. Great. Just great.

CHRIS POV

I laid in bed and looked at my watch. I knew Sabrina had been at work for at least half an hour now, and so was Kylie. I wondered if she had told her yet, or if she was even going to tell her at all. I didn't know why, but being with Sabrina just didn't feel right anymore. I needed... well, I didn't know what I needed. Or rather, who I needed. I sighed and closed my eyes. I would figure it out eventually. I hope.

Suddenly, the door burst open and Sabrina barged in with tears on her face.

"Chris, I just heard the craziest story about you and I'm hoping it's not true!" she yelled.

"Well, what did you hear?" I asked in a bored tone, pretending to study a loose thread on my comforter.

"I heard that you cheated on me with my friend Kylie at work. Now tell me it's not true!" she yelled again, more tears streaming down her face.

"Well, I could tell you it's not true, but that would be lying." I said sarcastically. Her mouth fell open as she stared at me with hurt in her eyes.

"You really did it. It's true." she whispered.

I just stared at her and nodded.

"Chris... I'm done. We're over!" she shouted, and then she stormed out the door, slamming it behind her. I grinned and put my hands behind my head.

"Finally!" I groaned. Now I was alone, and I was at peace. For now. I still felt like something was missing from my life, I just didn't know what it was. Not yet.

KYLIE POV

When my shift was over, I sadly climbed into my car and then pulled out my phone. I hesitated, but then I dialed Chris' number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Who is this?" he asked.

"It's me Chris." I said in a cold voice.

"Oh, Kylie. Hey." he said.

"So you deleted my number?" I asked with a roll of my eyes.

"Um, yeah. Kinda. So what's up?" he asked.

"I just wanted to let you know that I did what you wanted." I said.

"Oh, I know. She already came by and broke up with me. Thanks sweetheart." he said, and I could tell he was smirking.

"Whatever. See you at school." I bit back, ending the call and tossing the phone onto the seat next to me. How did he even have the right to call me sweetheart?! I just growled and started the car, driving home.

LUCAS POV

When I woke up, I was in a hospital. Then I remembered what happened. I ground my teeth together. I was getting payback one way or another. The doctor walked in and saw I was awake, and he explained that I had a minor concussion and some bruises, but I would be able to go back to school tomorrow as long as I took some Tylenol or Advil for the pain. I nodded and then signed some papers before I was released. I got in my car and angrily drove home. I wondered if Chris had talked to Kylie after I blacked out. I really did wonder what they had done earlier though. I imagined him dragging her into the bathroom and making out with her. Had he told her not to tell me? Would she have listened to him? My hand tightened on the wheel. I could just imagine him kissing her, and her saying she loved him... It made me see red. I stopped the car and looked outside, seeing that I was in front of Kylie's house. Well, what did I have to lose? I got out of the car and knocked on the door. Her mother opened it and greeted me.

"Hi, um, is Kylie here?" I asked.

"Oh, yes. Are you picking her up...?" her mom asked.

"Oh. No, I just came by to see her." I said.

"Okay. She's up in her room. You can go up and see her." her mom said. I nodded and thanked her, going up the stairs and knocking on Kylie's door.

"Mom, I told you I'm fine. Go away." she said.

"Um, it's me." I said through the door. Seconds later, the door opened and I saw her attempting to dry her eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked, going in her room and shutting the door behind me.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?" she asked, looking at my black eye, split lip, and the drying blood on my nose.

"Yeah, I can't feel it anymore." I said with a shrug.

"Oh." she replied.

"Yeah, what about you and Chris?" I asked.

"What about us?" she replied nervously, twisting and untwisting her hands in her lap.

"I want to know what really happened between you two today. And I wanna know now."