Chapter 16

KYLIE POV

I rolled out of bed the next morning, my mood brightening tremendously when I realized it was Friday. Even if I was still grounded and I couldn't go out tonight, at least it was almost the weekend. I hopped up quickly, eager to see Lucas. Wow, he really was growing on me. I blushed as I brushed my teeth and got dressed, hurrying down the stairs and grabbing my backpack. The house was silent as I walked out the door and headed to the bus stop. I met up with Samantha halfway there, and she was eager to know what was going on with me and Lucas and whatever happened with Chris. I explained it to her, only because I knew she was my other best friend and she would listen but at the same time keep her mouth shut about it at school. She understood how I felt, and then I quieted down as we reached the bus stop. Tori was at the next stop, so when we got on the bus she boarded it shortly after, smiling at me as she got on. I smiled back and about 20 minutes later we were being dropped off at the school. I walked through the doors, looking around for Lucas. I frowned when I didn't see him by his locker, and my mood dampened slightly. Then I felt a hand cover my eyes and I laughed as I realized it was Lucas. I turned around and took his hand away.

"You're here!" I said with a smile. He smiled back.

"Why wouldn't I be?" He replied jokingly. I shrugged and he walked with me to my locker, waiting for me to get my books out. He pecked me on the lips as I walked off to French class.

The rest of the day was uneventful, and even the cold stares that Chris was giving me failed to affect my happy mood. When I got home from school, I threw my backpack in the corner and went upstairs, sneaking onto my phone for the next hour and a half.

When it was time for work, I got up and got the car keys from my mom, driving off to the puppy store.

I walked in and was surprised to see Sabrina putting a boxer back in its cage.

"Hey Kylie!" She greeted me. I smiled.

"Hey!" I responded. She was dressed in the same green shirt that all the employees wore, and it was obvious she had gotten the job. Her name tag was pinned on the front of her shirt.

"So how long have you been here?" I asked.

"Oh, I just got here a few minutes ago actually. I got the 4-8 shift on Monday through Friday." She replied.

"Cool, I work 4-8 on Tuesday through Friday." I said.

"Oh." She responded. I shrugged.

We continued taking care of the dogs and talking to the customers and each other. Sabrina was really nice.

"So what are you doing tonight?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, my boyfriend Chris and I are going on a date." She replied, as if it were no big deal. My heart skipped a beat when she said Chris, but I knew she wasn't talking about MY Chris. Chris was a common name, I'm positive she was talking about someone else.

"That's nice." I responded with a smile.

"Yeah, we've been together for awhile. He's really sweet." She said, a smile creeping onto her face as her eyes glazed over. I could tell she was thinking about him. I shook my head as I took a Shitzu out of its cage. Then I thought about Lucas. I wished I could've gone on that date with him that he had asked me about, but I just had to go and get grounded. And that was Chris' fault too. It seemed like everything bad in my life right now had been caused by Chris. I sighed, and Sabrina looked over at me.

"So what about you? Got anyone special?" She asked with a smirk. I laughed and shrugged.

"I mean, I'm not officially dating him yet, but I guess you could say I'm in some sort of a relationship." I said with a laugh. She nodded in an understanding way.

After work was finally over, I climbed into the car and drove back home, planning to spend the rest of my weekend sleeping and texting Lucas.

*****

Saturday morning was filled with surprising events. First, Lucas texted me and asked if I was still grounded, and if not would I like to go out with him to dinner. I sighed and went downstairs, seeing my mom making coffee.

"Mom, I have a question." I said, leaning on the doorway. She turned around.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"Well, I was just wondering... If... I was allowed to go out tonight." I said, knowing she would say no.

"Do you understand the meaning of grounded?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"Y-yeah but I really like him and he's been asking me to go on a date with him all this week but I had to keep saying I couldn't because I was grounded. He just texted again and I really wanna say yes." I pleaded. I saw her face soften as she saw my pleading expression.

"What's his name?" She asked after a moment of silence.

"Lucas Bradford." I mumbled, a blush creeping up on my face.

"Hmm. Fine, you can go, but be back by ten. And you owe me, I'm gonna have to explain to your father." She said pointedly. I laughed lightly and brushed my hair back, looking at my mom.

"Thank you." I said, a smile creeping onto my face. She nodded and smiled back. I ran upstairs, giddy with excitement as I texted Lucas.

"Yeah sure what time? :)" a few seconds later, my phone buzzed and I opened the text.

"I'll pick you up at 7. What's your address?" I smiled and typed my address and then sent it to him.

"See you tonight." He said. I smiled again and then flopped onto my bed, staring the ceiling and grinning like an idiot.

****

Around 7, I was sitting in the front room and waiting for Lucas to pick me up. When I finally heard the doorbell ring, I jumped up and eagerly opened the door. He stood there, his dark hair looking more attractive than ever as it messily hung over his bright blue eyes.

"Hi." He greeted me.

"Hey." I replied, a blush creeping onto my cheeks.

I walked out of the house and shut the door, following him to his car.

Dinner with Lucas was fun. It wasn't like a serious awkward meal where no one said anything. Lucas liked to talk and laugh a lot, and he made me laugh too.

When we were about to leave the restaurant after we ate, Lucas stopped me when I tried to get up.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sitting back down.

"Kylie, I know this might sound a little off topic but, will you be my girlfriend?"