Chapter 5

I watched as my father walked to the front entrance and stood near the door with his arms crossed. He also had a clear view of the back door at the other end of the house, so both of our exits were blocked. We couldn't sneak past him, and people were beginning to leave the dance floor, meaning the more people that left the more noticeable Chris and I were in the corner. I bit my lip with worry.

"Chris, how are we going to sneak past my dad?" I asked.

"Oh, you're ready to leave already?" He asked.

"Well, the party's over in like 15 minutes and if we're two of the last people here then my dad will spot us." I said.

"True. Okay, I have an idea." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, I don't know if it will work, but we can try. Do you know where Samantha is?" He asked.

"Uh, let me text her." I replied, pulling out my phone. I quickly texted Samantha "hey where are you?"

She replied seconds later.

"In the kitchen, getting a snack. Why?"

"She's in the kitchen." I said to Chris.

"Okay, let's go to the kitchen then. And move slowly so your dad doesn't notice us in the crowd." Chris said.

"Okay." I replied.

We crouched lower to the ground and hurried quickly to the kitchen where Samantha was. When we entered the kitchen, I easily spotted her with a handful of chips and dip.

"Hey." I greeted her.

"Oh, hey. So what's up?" She asked.

"Do you have any rope in the house?" Chris asked hopefully.

"Hmm, well we don't have any in the garage cause we just cleaned, but there's some rope in the shed in the back yard." She said.

"Ugh, dammit that's not in the house. We can't go through the exit. Okay, change of plans." Chris said.

"Uhhhhh, okay." I said, still not sure what the first plan had been.

"And who are you?" Samantha asked Chris.

"Kylie's boyfriend." He said in an innocent voice.

"Uh-huh. Okay then." She said in a slightly shocked and weirded out tone. I wasn't known to date people I had just met, which is probably why she was shocked.

"Do you know anyone, preferably a guy, who has a hoodie they'd be willing to give up?" Chris asked.

"Um, my boyfriend might." She said slowly, an eyebrow raised in confusion. She was probably wondering why Chris had asked her for a rope, and then asked her if she knew anyone who would give up their sweatshirt. I was confused, too.

"Where is your boyfriend?" Chris asked.

"Over there." She said, pointing to the crowd of people on the other side of the kitchen.

"Hey Brian! Come her for a sec!" She shouted. He turned his head and began walking towards us.

"Hey Kylie." He said, greeting me with a nod.

"Hey Brian." I replied.

"So, what's up Sam?" He asked her.

"Would you be willing to give Kylie's boyfriend your hoodie?" She asked. Brian raised a thick eyebrow in confusion before glancing down at his hoodie. It was striped red and black.