Chapter 13

KYLIE POV

As I laid in bed, watching the hands of the clock dragging me towards my death, I tried NOT to think about the fact that my dad would be here in less than five minutes. I made sure all of the things I wanted to keep were hidden, so that he didn't take them and say I was "grounded." I sighed and slumped back on my pillow. I was 18. I really needed to move out of this hell-hole. There were too many rules. I lazily opened my eyes when I heard my doorknob turning. Was my dad home early? I sure hoped not. I peeked at the door and saw my sisters little round face appear, her eyes cautious as she approached me and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Where were you? You left for a couple days." She said in her tiny cute voice.

"I was with a friend, but I didn't tell mom and dad so they got angry." I said, coming up with the truest explanation I could that was also appropriate for her to hear.

"But I heard Mommy and Daddy say that you ran away." She continued.

"Look, it was all just a little misunderstanding." I assured her. She nodded and then stared at the comforter.

"Anything else you wanted?" I asked, glancing over at the clock nervously.

"Just wanted to say hi." She replied with a shrug.

"Oh." I said, feeling my heartbeat increase as I heard the front door slam downstairs. He was home. Seconds later, he stormed into the room, glaring at my sister.

"Kiara. Out." He demanded, his eyes blazing with fury. She scurried out of the room, shutting the door behind her. My blood turned cold as I was met with my father's stare. He raised his hand and slapped me across the face. Tears sprung to my eyes but I simply glared at him.

"How dare you run away and then threaten to call the cops on me?! That is unacceptable!" He screamed.

"I'm s-sorry." I stuttered, trying to hide my tears.

"Give me your phone." He growled, holding out his hand. I fought back the urge to smirk.

"I left it at Chris' house." I said proudly. He growled threateningly, glaring at me like he knew I was lying.

"And why... Did you leave it there?" He said through clenched teeth.

"Because I ran away from him too." I lied, scrunching down in my covers in an attempt to draw less attention to myself.

"If I find out you're lying, The consequences will be much worse. And I expect you to get your phone back tomorrow at school and give it to me when I get home." He threatened.

I gulped in nervousness but nodded my head. His face grew red as he stormed towards the door, and as he got closer to it I heard footsteps scurrying down the hall. My dad shoved open the door.

"Kiara!" He yelled down the hall. Seconds later, Kiara walked into view, looking guilty.

"I-I'm sorry dad, I was just listening because I didn't know why you were mad." She confessed guiltily.

"It's okay sweetheart I know you don't understand." He said, patting her on the head. My mouth dropped open, and I couldn't help but envy my little sister in this moment. If he caught me eavesdropping on him, he would've slapped me and grounded me for a week! This wasn't fair. Kiara smiled and then he left. After that, she came back to sit on my bed.

"Why does daddy and mommy yell at you so much?" She asked curiously.

"Because I'm older." I said with a sigh.

"Will they yell at me when I get older?" She asked.

I nodded and chuckled. "If you act like me, then yes." I said.