12

I walked down the long, dark, and vacant road trying to formulate a plan. I didn't know where to go or what to do. I was vampire now but I didn't really know what that meant. I didn't know how to survive on my own this way. I didn't know the ins and outs of being vampire. I needed Micah. What could have possibly happened to him that made him forget all about me? There was no hint of recognition in his eyes. I had to come up with a plan.

But where could I go? Everything was with Micah. My wallet, my clothes, everything was at his house. My family was not within walking distance. Daniel was the closest thing but there was no way in hell I was going to him. I would just have to somehow find a way to get home, to my parents. I knew they would recognize the extreme physical changes I had undergone. Would they say anything? My parents were not judgmental but they would demand explanations. It really seemed I didn't have any options. I would have to go home but how would I get there? It was a forty minute drive there and I was on foot. Then again, I was vampire. Unreal speed was part of the deal so why did I need money to get there when I could just run?

I took off at supersonic speed, praying Drew would still be able to find me. I decided to lay low for a week or so before taking action.

As I made my way hidden down the side of the country freeway I thought about Micah. The complete disregard for me was horrible. I hadn't had time to feel the affects of his rejection but now...now that I was alone, I was able to feel just how horrible this situation was. He rejected me, threatened me, and abandoned me. I knew it wasn't really him but it hurt all the same. There had to be a bigger picture though. The wolves wouldn't just lead him to believe I was an imposter. There had to be something else. Were they counting on me to try to save him? He said he would kill me if I ever came around again. Were they counting on him killing me if I went back to help him? That would be the ultimate revenge; if he killed his mate, it would be far worse than him killing their alpha. It would destroy him in a way no one else could accomplish. To leave him alive, to carry the burden of killing his own mate, would eliminate him as a threat to anyone. He told me he would renounce his throne if anything happened to me. If he was the one to do it, even if he wasn't in his right mind at the time, he would hold on to it forever. He would never forgive himself.

I stopped running. Why was I waiting a week before taking action? Too much could happen in that time. I needed to do something now but I needed to fly under Micah's radar. He couldn't know I didn't leave; he would kill me for sure. Where the hell would I start though? I had no contacts, no idea how this preternatural world worked. I should wait for Drew before making any rash decisions but I needed to formulate a plan at the bare minimum.

I ran for another ten minutes before surprising myself by ending up at my parent's door step. It was night and they were for sure in bed but I didn't have a choice. I knocked on the door making sure my appearance was slightly masked.

My dad pulled the door open after a minute looking groggy. He took a minute to let his eyes adjust to the night and looked surprised.

"Emma, what are you doing?" He asked in shock but pulled me inside the house regardless.

"I didn't know where else to go," I said trying not to break down.

"What happened, sweetheart?"

"Daniel cheated on me," I said though my voice was thick with tears.

"Oh, sweetheart," he responded apologetically, wrapping me in his arms. No one, not even Micah, could comfort me the way my dad could. He knew exactly what I needed without me ever having to tell him.

Finally, the weight of the last week came crashing down and I cried for everything that happened. I cried for my abrupt yet well deserved break up with Daniel; I cried because I lost my best friend. Daniel was my best friend for so long and I could never have that with him again. Micah was bat shit crazy at the moment and wanted to kill me so I really only had my family. I was right to come here. I needed them more than I thought and I realized that while crying into my father's chest in the middle of the night like a child just waking up from a nightmare. He rubbed little circles on the back of my neck- his way of calming me down since I was a baby. I had to admit, even though I wasn't five crawling into his lap because of bad dreams, the gesture was still the only thing that could ever calm me down.

"How did you get here Emma?" He asked softly.

"I took a cab," I lied. I was never a good liar but he seemed to buy it. Maybe he was just not wanting to press it at the moment.

"Come on, it's late," he said as he led me down the hallway to my old room.

"Jenna's staying at her friend's house so you have the room to yourself," he said as he led me right to my old bed.

"Thanks, Dad," I replied.

He gave me one last squeeze and closed the door behind him leaving me to my dark room. I flipped on the bedside lamp to see Drew sitting on my bed. I gasped and jumped back at his sudden presence but he only looked amused.

"You're supposed to have extra senses," he teased.

"I'm a bit out of commission at the moment," I replied harshly.

"No need to get snippy, Princess," he responded quietly.

I tried to not let the title affect me but I couldn't help it, "I'm not your princess anymore."

"You are still named as heir to the throne should anything happen to Micah. You are responsible for bringing him back, Emma."

"I know that," I snapped, "Don't you think that's what I want?"

"Of course but we do need a plan first."

"What about the witches?"

Drew scoffed, "The witches don't know up from down most of the time. They're so wrapped up in their own power struggle they don't care about the rest of us."

"Micah said they were behind the strike on the wolves," I offered.

"That is what he believed. He doesn't even remember that though. Seems like the last five years just vanished to him. He still thinks I'm just part of security," he laughed.

I knew Drew was much more than just security to Micah. Drew was my personal guard which was a high standing for the man. He couldn't get much higher than that. I knew not even Micah had as many guards as I did.

"Okay well where do we start then?"

"We need to figure out what happened. He was only alone for a few hours but silver works almost instantly."

"You think they poisoned him with silver?"

"It's the only thing that makes sense."

"But why would he think I'm a spy? Even if he lost his memory wouldn't he still feel me?"

"True. They must have done something else."

Something like what?