22

I walked down to Micah's office to see what he was up to. It had been a few weeks since we had seen my parents and I was starting to worry they would never talk to me again but that wasn't the only think weighing heavily on me.

"Hey," I said from his office door.

He looked up from the paperwork he was signing and offered me a tired smile.

"What are you up to?" He asked.

I shrugged, "Just bored. What are you doing?"

"Drowning in paperwork."

I laughed lightly, "I can see that. Can I help?"

"You can sign checks," he said.

I sat across from him in a black leather chair as I often did when I watched him work. He handed me a stack of payroll checks probably thicker than a tree trunk. I hadn't realized how many people he had on his payroll but then I started to think about it. I thought about just the people I came into immediate contact with and even that number was huge. I hadn't considered his businesses on top of personal security, assistants, servants, and drivers.

"Can I just sign my name?"

"That's fine," he said absently.

We stayed silent for a little while longer but I couldn't help wanting to talk to him.

"You haven't heard from my parents, have you?" I asked.

He glanced up at me, "They'll be there, love."

"Think so?"

"They wouldn't miss it. You've worked too hard for too long for them to miss your graduation."

I sighed, "I hope you're right."

He set his paperwork down and gave me his full attention, "Even if they don't go, I doubt they will disown you. They're afraid right now."

I nodded, "I know. I just hope they understand."

"Eventually, they will."

"Aren't you worried they will tell someone?"

"Not at all. What would they say? My daughter and her fiancé are vampires?"

I laughed lightly, "I suppose that wouldn't go over well."

He smiled brightly, "No, it wouldn't."

I sighed roughly, "I guess I'm just stressing."

"I know, love. I wish I could promise that they'll be there but it's not something I can promise."

"I know. Have you heard from Drew?"

"I did, actually. He will be back next week."

I nodded. I needed to tell him now. If I didn't, I would lose my nerve and keep putting it off like I had been the last couple of days.

"Um, Micah?"

"Hm?"

I stared at him but he never looked away from his papers.

"Micah," I said again.

This time, he looked at me.

"I think I'm pregnant."

Though his expression didn't change, I could tell he was shocked. He didn't respond, he just looked at me as he dropped the paper that was in his hand.

"What makes you think that?"

I looked down and put my hand on my stomach, searching for the bump I felt before and walked over to him. I picked up his hand and placed it right where I felt the bump.

"Feel that?"

"I do," he said quietly.

I let go of his hand but he didn't take it from my stomach. He simply left it there and stared at it while lightly pressing on the bump.

"Do you think I have a tumor?" I asked.

He laughed, "No, love. I think you're pregnant. Would you like to keep it?"

"I know you're dealing with-"

"What I'm dealing with doesn't matter right now. Do you want to keep it?"

"But Micah-"

"No, Emma. Tell me what you want," he said sternly.

I bit my lip. What did I want? Could I have a baby? Was I even close enough to ready for that? No. I wasn't mature enough and I didn't know the first thing about raising a baby. But I couldn't abort it. It may not be the ideal situation but I did want to keep it.

I nodded slowly, "Only if you want it too."

"I want a family with you. You know that."

"I know but the timing is really bad."

"It is. How far along do you think you are?"

I shrugged, "Can't be more than a couple months and that's if it happened on the first time."

"You couldn't possibly be that far. Vampire pregnancy only lasts about a month. You would be bedridden the last half."

"A month?" I questioned.

"My guess is you're about a week. I'll have a doctor here within the hour," he said as he picked up his phone.

He called his assistant, Isabella, and told her to bring the best vampire doctor she could get her hands on and that he needed to be here within the hour. When Micah wants something to happen, it happens. I imagined this doctor would drop whatever they were doing to be here for the king. I bet the doctor would leave mid surgery if Micah requested it.

"So I'll be bedridden for two weeks?"

"Probably. That is usually what happens."

"Are you happy?" I asked timidly.

He gripped my hand and pulled me to sit on his lap, "Very. I suppose I never really thought this day would come."

"What do you mean?"

"I knew eventually we would have a family but I never thought it would be this soon. It's rare for a vampire as young as you to be pregnant."

"When does it usually happen?"

"It varies. My mother was young as well."

"How young?"

"She was given to my father at fourteen as a peace treaty from the king of France, had me by fifteen, and was turned at sixteen."

"So she isn't pure?"

"She is now but she had me as a human. It was actually a bit of a miracle I was born pure. Had I been half, I wouldn't have been able to take the throne when my father died."

"You know, you've never really told me anything about your family," I said.

"I guess not. My father was the Holy Roman Emperor as well as king of all vampires and my mother was a princess of France. My father had plans to invade France so to avoid that, the king of France gave him his daughter to do with as he pleased. Fortunately for my mother, my father was kind and loved her even though she wasn't his mate. He wasn't going to disgrace her by turning her into a concubine so he married her just before her fifteenth birthday. When I was twelve, my father was assassinated and I was forced to take the throne."

"So neither of your parents ever found their mate?"

"Actually, they both did. My father's mate was killed almost a century before he married my mother and my mother found her mate about forty years ago."

"Do I ever get to meet her?"

He smiled at me, "She has been on my case about it since I found you. Once she finds out you're pregnant she will refuse to wait any longer."

"I can't believe you've made her wait this long," I scolded.

He laughed, "I was only trying to give you time to adjust. She can be a little intimidating."

"I can handle it."

"I have no doubt. If you really want to meet her, I can have her here tomorrow though I'm warning you, you will be alone with her."

"I don't mind."

He smiled briefly before his phone began to ring. I caught Isabella's name on the screen before he pressed the phone to his ear.

"Yes?"

"Is Doctor Malcolm Radonavich okay?" She asked.

"He will do. When can he be here?"

"He's on his way. It will be about twenty minutes."

"Thank you, Isabella," he said to end the call before she could respond.