17

I pulled on my running shoes and threw my hair in a ponytail. Running always calmed me down even if it didn't do anything for my body these days. I was praying Drew wasn't around so I could just have half an hour to myself. I hadn't been alone in the last week and it was starting to irritate me. I like being alone but I suppose constant people came with the royal territory.

"I'll be back in a bit," I called to my parents who were currently celebrating with a bottle of red wine.

They waved me off clearly feeling the affects of the alcohol. My parents rarely drank so when they did, they kept it under control. I felt like they probably wanted to be alone to celebrate so maybe I could take my sisters out to dinner or something. After all, it wasn't a school night.

I started my run off towards the setting sun with the crisp breeze at my back. It felt good to relax alone and just have my mind void of the shit storm known as my life. I loved that I wasn't restricted by a human body; I could run for hours and never feel it. I felt liberated and it was amazing.

I lost myself in the small town I grew up in to avoid facing my current situation. While the town wasn't somewhere that everyone knew everyone, my family still knew a lot of people. My parents were very involved in the community and they always had me volunteer with them. Not to mention my grandparents had one of the oldest standing pharmacies in town until it closed.

I ran through downtown where families were starting to gather for dinners and movies and old friends met at the two bars.

"Emma," I heard a female voice call my name.

I turned to see Melissa, a girl I had been friends with in high school. A bright smile touched her lips as she waved me over to her group.

"Hey," I said as I approached.

"How are you," she asked excitedly.

"Great! I'm just visiting my family for a few days," I said, "How are you?"

"Pregnant," she said with a laugh.

"Oh," I responded shocked.

She shrugged, "Four months."

"Well congratulations!"

"Thanks! What have you been up to?"

"I graduate next month with my MFA," I said.

"Oh wow! That's so good! Still dating Daniel?"

I tensed at the question, "Um...no. That actually just ended."

She nodded, understanding she hit a nerve and didn't push it.

"What about you? Are you married?"

She shook her head, "Not yet. My boyfriend was just deployed."

"Oh. Where is he?"

"Japan. He left right after we found out I was pregnant."

How awful.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said apologetically.

She nodded, "It is what it is. Well it was great seeing you, Emma. You look phenomenal," she commented appreciatively.

I smiled shyly, "Thanks. I'll see you later."

She waved as I started to walk off. I turned to start running again but ran directly into the last person I expected to see. I gasped at Micah's sudden close proximity and went to take a step back but he stopped me with a hand on my elbow.

"Come with me," he demanded.

I bit my lip in hesitation. He was my mate and I was supposed to trust him unconditionally but he wasn't himself at the moment. What if he was taking me somewhere to kill me? I wouldn't be able to really defend myself against him. He was stronger and much older than me. Not to mention the fact that he rules a race. One does not simply become king by being the weakest link and said person does not hold the title for centuries without being the top of the line.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I said hesitantly.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head, "I'm not going to hurt you."

I knew I might regret this later but what choice did I have? He was telling me to go with him and I didn't really have a say. He would force me if I didn't comply.

I followed him with my arms crossed, watching him out of the corner of my eye.

"You are going to explain this situation to me."

"Now you want to listen?" I asked bitterly.

"Now, Emma," he demanded.

The way he said my name... it wasn't meant to spark a desire in me but it did regardless.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"You made a comment the other night about my memory being gone."

"A few days ago you left on your own and later that night Drew came running in the house trying to get me out before you got there. He said you were attacked and that he didn't know what happened to you."

He stayed silent for a moment. I took the time to really look at him. He looked the same but I had to separate myself. He wasn't mine at the moment and I couldn't obsess about him while trying to convince him I wasn't lying.

"That's it?"

I shrugged, "Drew and I have no idea where you went. You left on your own without any guards."

He looked at me skeptically, "When you kissed me earlier, you seemed comfortable."

I half laughed, "Yea, I guess."

"Why?"

"It's not the first time," I said.

He frowned as if he was deep in thought, "More comfortable than you should have been."

"Jesus Micah! I'm not going to talk to you if you're going to be this pigheaded!"

He raised his eyebrows in surprise, "Is that so?"

"Yes. You have no idea what you've put me through these last couple of weeks. Doesn't that bother you at all?" I asked exasperated.

Something small sparked in his eyes but he concealed it quickly.

"No."

I scoffed, "You're lying. It has to bother you. I know you felt something when I kissed you."

"That is not your concern."

"Are you serious?"

"Clearly. Look, Emma, I'm not exactly sure what is going on but the one thing I am sure about is Katia."

I couldn't help the hurt that crossed my expression.

"I am going to marry her tomorrow and I am warning you to stay away."

"But Micah-"

"I will not discuss it further."

I panicked. I didn't know what to do and the same thick, painful tears welled in my eyes.

"Please, Micah... Don't do this."

"You never explained how you are able to cry like that," he said.

What?

I shook my head a little trying to clear my eyes, "I don't know. You never explained it to me."

"Royal vampires have the ability to cry like that and to be in direct sunlight for a limited time. You have both abilities so which royal really bit you?"

"You are the smartest man I know, Micah. Figure it the fuck out."

I wanted to be near him more than anything but I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get as far from him as I possibly could.

I stormed off in the direction of my house but Micah, being the dominating ass that he can be, wouldn't allow that.

"I need you to stay away from now on," he said from behind me.

"Then stop fucking following me."

"Watch your mouth."

"Fuck off," I threw over my shoulder.