13

I sat with Drew for a few hours but we came up empty. I wasn't going to sleep until we had a solution for this. I didn't care how tired I felt; if the tables were turned, Micah would work around the clock trying to find a solution.

"We're missing something," I mumbled into my pillow.

"But what," he asked exasperated.

"I don't know! But there has to be something. You said yourself silver wouldn't just conveniently destroy the last five years. This was something designed," I trailed off.

"Designed?"

"What if..." I started but stopped to finish my thought, "Okay, Micah said he thought the witches were behind the attack on the beta, right?"

"Yes," he responded. I could tell he was tired of going over this but I needed to talk it all out.

"What if this was an elaborate plan with the witches and the wolves...maybe Alexander sacrificed his beta and blamed it on Micah but he wasn't counting on me being at that meeting. He knew Micah would kill him if he came after me, making Micah look unstable...with this designed silver compound they gave him, it makes him look worse when he can't even remember his own mate which would knock him out of power, allowing the wolves to take control. They are counting on me trying to help Micah and getting killed in the process to leave no heir to the vampire throne," I said slowly.

Drew thought for a moment but looked at me skeptically, "I don't think the witches are organized enough for that."

"You said they're in a constant power struggle. Maybe the wolves promised them the number two spot after taking vampires out."

He nodded absently, "I mean, it does make sense."

"We need to figure out why the witches are willing to work against us. Has there been a major falling out?"

"Well, there was an issue a few decades ago but it was relatively minor," he brushed off.

"Maybe it wasn't minor to them. What happened?"

"The queen wanted a vampire for a husband but Micah refused the union. No one really knows why he refused it but the queen was pissed for a long time."

I thought about the reasons behind his refusal. What could possibly make him say no to a marriage? It didn't make much sense; Micah was a levelheaded guy. He didn't make rushed decisions but he did make decisions quickly. Perhaps he didn't think through this one enough. Perhaps there was a deeper meaning behind his refusal. Any way I approached it, I couldn't figure it out without Micah to guide me through his thought process. I could only make assumptions and that seems to be what got us in this mess in the first place.

"Okay. Do you think that combined with the promise of a weakened vampire empire would be enough to have the witches against us?"

He shrugged, "I guess we could assume that. So how do we fix it?"

I exhaled sharply, "Good question."

We sat in silence for a few minutes. I reflected on my last few days. They had been some of the best and worst. I couldn't be happier to have Micah in my life but at the same time, he was ripped away. I felt helpless and alone even with Drew on my side. If it came down to it, Drew was fiercely loyal to Micah and would more than likely abandon me. I had to get to Micah before that happened.

"I can't just sit here," I said as I started to pace the room.

"There's nothing else you can do right now. Micah will kill you if you go back," he said firmly.

"You're asking me to sit by idly while my mate is under attack and alone," I responded curtly.

He looked slightly uncomfortable at my words which seemed odd.

"Why do you look like that?" I asked cautiously.

"Look, Emma, I didn't want to tell you..."

"Tell me what," I demanded.

I felt my heart already sinking at the words I knew were inevitable.

I crossed my arms, "Tell me now."

"The other part of this...he thinks someone else is his mate..." He said apologetically.

My breath caught in my throat as my chest felt like it was collapsing. I knew exactly what he meant by that. Micah was with another woman.

An all consuming, black jealousy sparked within me and all I could think was to destroy. I wanted to kill everything in sight and break anyone else's happiness for the deep hurt, betrayal, and sorrow I felt.

"He is mine," I stated deathly low before taking off out of the house.

I sped off before Drew could think to react. I was going to kill whoever he was with. If this bitch knew what was good for her, she would leave with only broken bones. I could feel myself getting closer to Micah; I could sense him after only a ten minute run.

I threw the giant doors open and stormed right into one of the living areas where a stunning, dark haired woman had draped her arms around my mate.

Without thinking, I gripped the back of her head, down to her scalp, and yanked her to the ground. Before I could cause any real damage, Micah had me pinned against the wall in the most painful way possible. He faced me against the wall but I could only imagine how mad he must look.

"You?!" He demanded rhetorically.

I struggled against his hold but only succeeded in hurting myself, "Let me go! I'll fucking kill her!" I screamed. I could hear how crazy I sounded but I didn't care.

"Let you kill my mate? Are you out of your damn mind?! I told you never to come here again!"

"Micah, who is she," the girl asked, feigning fright.

"No one," he responded instantly, "She will leave now."

"The hell I will! This fucking dog is fooling you, Micah!"

"Watch your mouth," he warned when he tightened the grip on my arm.

"She is a fucking dog," I muttered.

"She is a vampire, not a werewolf," he corrected as if I was the biggest idiot he'd ever met.

Confusion flooded my mind. What the hell was he talking about? I could smell her clear as day. She was definitely a wolf. I may not be the most experienced vampire but she smelled just like the pack house. How could he miss that?

"Micah, please, listen to me...I'm your mate. You were attacked and I don't know what they did to you but she is not what you think," I tried.

The only response I received was a laugh from him. Even though I was deeply hurt, his laugh still caused a shiver to run down my spine in the most tantalizing way.

"I'll admit," he whispered in my ear, "there is something about you that is rather appealing but that is my mate. "