28

Micah:

At the school, we walked the lot to the area where the car exploded. Sure enough, there was a manhole right under the site. I ripped the solid concrete lid from the ground and jumped down. I knew Emma had been here; her scent was faint but definitely there. One by one, Drew, Liam, and the kinetics jumped down and followed me as I led them through the complex system of tunnels. The closer we got to Emma's scent, the stronger the smell of wolves became.

Scarlett had masked us so the wolves wouldn't know we were on to them and the kinetics put a barrier around us to block any noise we made but we silently crept within a mile of the wolves so we could hear what they were talking about.

"Think he's gonna attack, Damon?" One wolf asked.

"He's panicked. He'll attack the territory first," Damon responded casually.

"You think?"

"He's impatient. He'll attack the first thing wolf related."

"What if he finds out where she is?"

"He won't. Not until we move her, anyway."

They would have been right if Emma hadn't taught me how to listen to others before reacting. I owe her my ability to use patience but at the moment, it was rather difficult. I wanted to attack but I needed to know she was still in that box so she wouldn't be hurt in the battle.

I crept closer, all the while ensuring I didn't make a sound. Werewolves had incredible hearing; their hearing even rivaled vampire hearing.

I could see the current Alpha sitting on a slab of cement that I was sure contained Emma. I could hear her slow, steady breathing like when she slept. I hoped she was asleep and not having to lay and stare at her cement coffin. She would be terrified if she realized where she was; then again, I often underestimated her ability to cope with stressful situations. Maybe she was doing fine and I was the one panicking.

I looked back to the small group I brought and felt more confident. I had five kinetics, myself, Liam, and Drew. My only concern was whether or not the wolves were making a move soon. What if they were about to take her out of here? They talked about moving her but I didn't know when. I had to take the chance and attack now to be certain I had Emma back. I couldn't wait for them to move on to the second phase of their plan because I didn't know what it contained.

I motioned for the attack and all kinetics split to surround the tunnels just in case Damon ran. Drew and Liam followed me from hiding to the dank tunnel the wolves were in.

"Damon," I greeted bitterly.

He jumped at our sudden presence, clearly he was unaware we had found them. He glared at me, hard enough to burn holes in my head if that was possible.

"So you found us," he bit out.

"Clearly. Open the box."

"You'll never make it out of here," Damon growled.

"Just like I would never find her?" I mocked.

He didn't respond but I could hear Emma's breathing pick up in the box. It wasn't normal breathing but something more labored.

I flashed to the wolf and before he knew what was happening, I had him impaled on a rusty pipe. I knew it wouldn't kill him but I didn't have time to fully kill him. Yet. I needed to get her out of the box first.

I gripped the lid of the sealed coffin to rip it open but I was met with resistance. I wasn't going to let a cement slab stand in the way of protecting my mate so I used a good amount of force to throw it off. The lid crashed against the wall, shattering into giant stones. Emma laid inside the coffin breathing heavily with her knees as tucked as much as possible. Her golden hair was matted to her face that was contorted in fear and pain. She may have been a tiny woman but this box was made to fit her perfectly, not a centimeter to spare. Her wrists were bloody and the silver around them was still cutting her flesh. It looked painful but that wasn't what she was in pain from.