10

I sat in class unable to concentrate on anything besides the uncomfortable stares I had received from the student body. I knew it was bound to happen with my improved appearance but I didn't think they would gawk in every class. I assumed I could handle the initial shock but this was getting ridiculous. I wasn't accustomed to this kind of attention and I certainly did not welcome it. I doubted Micah would relish in the attention I was getting though the thought of how he might react was rather amusing.

"Emma," my professor said. I looked at him, waiting for him to go on.

"Would you care to explain the main differences between Descartes and Plato?"

Why was he asking such a basic question? Odd, but I answered it nonetheless. Extensively, at that. He nodded in acceptance and continued to explain our final project.

"You will partner with one person to create a research paper on how religion affects the writer's perspective. Twenty pages in length but the direction is up to you."

Damnit. I hate group projects. Thankfully, Micah had guards in my classes so all I had to do was choose one. That certainly lightened my load.

"Hey, Emma, want to work together?" One of the random male students asked me. I didn't even know his name and he was in the same masters program. Why the hell would he suddenly be asking me to work together?

"Sorry, I'm working with Drew," I said apologetically. Thankfully he accepted my answer with no resistance.

The man I learned to know as Drew approached me with a light smile.

"Shall we, Princess?" He asked as the rest of the class left.

I frowned at his formal address. I didn't want anyone to suspect anything.

"Don't call me that."

He seemed slightly amused by my refusal but I wasn't amused.

"It is your title," he reminded.

"But it is not my name," I retorted.

"Touché."

We walked in silence to the black SUV waiting in the parking lot. Micah insisted I allow his driver to take me to and from school but I was not to interact with any guards so I wouldn't pull attention to myself. I think I had my fair share of attention already and I didn't need the guards for that to happen.

"See you at the house," Drew said as I got into the SUV.

Micah's driver, Andrew, was the strong silent type. He was older like Allan but even more rigid. At least Allan spoke to me once. I hadn't heard Andrew speak since moving in with Micah. Granted, I had only been there a couple days but he had driven us plenty in that time period without a word to myself or Micah.

We made the silent, twenty minute drive easily. I could see this really working between us; he would not pry and I would not need to make small talk. It really was a great situation. I wasn't much of a talker and I often found small talk uneasy and awkward.

Micah greeted me at the front door though I could tell he was extremely busy. He had a woman hot on his trail taking down every word he said on a tablet of some kind. I was amazed she could walk, talk, and type at once. I could never multitask to that extent. Naturally, I examined her as a threat but quickly decided she posed no threat to me for Micah's attention so I smiled at her. She quickly returned the gesture before typing more notes.

"How was class?" He asked as if he had all the time in the world.

"It was fine. I have a twenty page research paper due in three weeks," I groaned. It was supposed to be a partner paper but since Drew wasn't really my partner I doubted he would help with the paper.

"I don't know how you do it, Em. I may be able to appreciate a well-written piece of literature but that is verging on obscene."

"Tell me about it. What are you up to?"

"Defusing a war," he said nonchalantly.

I looked at him skeptically, "Defusing a war?"

"Remember, love, I told you we are at war."

I scoffed, "I'm not stupid!"

He laughed lightly, "I'm only teasing, relax. So when is your graduation?"

"The twenty-third of next month why?"

"Am I not allowed to be curious?"

I shrugged, "Be as curious as you want."

"Clear that day, Isabella," Micah said over his shoulder.

"But that's-"

"Clear it," he repeated, completely cutting her off.

"You don't have to do that," I insisted.

"I want to."

There was no use in arguing. I knew he had his mind set and there was nothing I could do to change that.

"Fine," I agreed. Secretly, I wanted him to clear his day for something so important to me but I would never be so selfish as to ask for it.

"We have an appointment with the witches tonight. They would like to meet you."

"Since our meetings go so well," I said sarcastically more to myself than anything.

"That will not happen again. We are in the process of working out a deal with them. Hopefully all goes well tonight and you can charm them into submission," he said with a light smile.

"So now you just use me for peace treaties?" I asked seriously though I was teasing.

Anyone else would not have understood my somewhat dark and dry humor but Micah laughed.

"Snippy today, are we?"

I shrugged, "I just really don't want to write this paper alone. It's supposed to be a partner project."

"Your partner won't help?"

"I chose Drew so I wouldn't have to work with others," I admitted.

"Then he will do his half of the project."

"He's not really a student."

"True but he works for me and I say he is doing the project."

I half smiled when I noticed Drew standing behind Micah with a scowl. I knew he didn't want to do it but he wouldn't protest anything Micah gave as an order.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll do the stupid project," Drew grumbled.

I couldn't help but laugh at his behavior as he left the room.

"Well, love, I really must be getting back. I'll see you at eight."

He kissed my forehead and we parted ways. Now to start on this damn research.