Chapter 18

Recap...

Uncle Nasir decided to pay the bill even after dad insisted but Uncle Nasir told him that it was his treat. Hamza and I got back into his car while the parents got into their car.

"So are you excited to meet your spouse?" Hamza says.

"Honestly I'm scared to no end but I'm also very excited to meet him. Plus he is very pious from the way he writes but I feel bad because at times I think that he is too good for me."

"What do you mean?" Hamza asks confused now.

"He is just too good to be true and I'm afraid that I can't be enough for him. Enough talk about me, tell me about your mystery girl." I tease him.

"There isn't much about her." He says shyly.

"Oh come on, just spill."

"Okay, okay. I plan on proposing to her during the summer."

"That's it? Tell me more."

"Well she is very smart but also very pious. I don't want to say more." Hamza says shyly looking at the road.

"Well she sounds like a wonderful person."

"She is."

The rest of the ride, I look out the car to see the lovely snowflakes land on the window. Each one is so unique, yet so beautiful.

Once I get home, I take a shower and change into my fluffy pajama bottoms, and a warm, fuzzy, polka-dotted sweater. I take the envelope and place it on mom's side drawer because I know that she'll see it before she goes to bed.

Once I get back to my room, I read Isha Salah, and some Quran afterwards. I then lie down in bed and read the 4 Quls (Surah Falaq, Surah Naas, Surah Kaafiroon, and Surah Ikhlas), the Dua for sleeping ("Allah humma bismika Amootoo Wa A'h ya"), and Surah Mulk. As I finish Surah Mulk, I feel myself getting tired and falling asleep.

Chapter 18

As I get ready for the last day of school before the winter break, I feel excitement coursing through my veins. I am so happy to finally get two weeks off to relax at last. After I finish my shower, I change into a pair of sweatpants, and a long full sleeve sweatshirt that is loose and doesn't cling to my body like second skin. I wear my burgundy hijab as well with a black cap.

I come downstairs to see everyone already seated and filling their plates with food. I saw Assalam O Alaikom to everyone and take a seat myself. I let mom fill my plate, and when I see what she puts down on my plate, I do Shukr (appreciation) to Allah (swt) for giving me a mom that can make me mouth-watering food. I also say Jaza Kallah Khair to her.

On my plate, there is a breakfast burrito with ground beef, some salad, and cheddar cheese (that is halal) in it. There is also scrambled eggs that have a light sprinkle of salt and pepper for flavour, and last but not least, there is a toast with some hummus on it, on my plate.

I read the Dua for eating food, and dig in. Subhan Allah, it all tastes as good as it looks. Once I'm finished, I give mom and dad a kiss on the cheek and wait in my room for Umme to text me that she and Saafiya are here. I put on my parka because my frosted windows let me interpret myself how freezing it is outside.

Once I get into the car, we all say Assalam O Alaikom and Wa Alaikom Assalam to each other.

"So Layla did you hear that Farooq likes you?" Umme says, and my smile suddenly disappears off of my face.