Chapter 5

I wake up to hearing someone loudly knocking on my door. It is repetitive and really annoying.

"Who is it?" I yell annoyed.

"It's almost Fajr time. Read Namaz." Hamza says calmly. I'm awake in a flash. I'm glad he told me to wake up because I didn't hear my alarm go off and as I look at my phone, I see that the alarm volume is on silent by mistake.

I grab a one-piece hijab and go to the bathroom. I take off my hijab and take a quick shower. I do my Wudhu while I took a shower. I slip on the hijab and leave the bathroom.

I see that mom, dad, and Hamza's parents are also awake. I check the Namaz poster in my room and see that it was time for Fajr Namaz. After I read Fajr Namaz, I also read Surah Yaseen and a bit of Quran.

But I just can't sleep and it's not like I really want to anyways seeing that I feel wide awake now. I go to my parents room and give them the list of the questions I have for the "person".

They tell me that they'll give the questions to him and that I should try to get some sleep. But I tell them that I just can't sleep and they say that they understand. I go back to my room and lock the door. I watch the sunset and awe at the sight of such beauty.

I decide to spend my time rereading the stories of the prophet. As I finish Lut (AS)'s story, I check the time and see that it's already 6 o' clock. I decide it's time that I got ready. Luckily my hair is dry so I don't have to dry it.

I decide to wear black harem pants, a long maroon cardigan, a white shirt, and a peach scarf today. I get ready and then go downstairs hoping that mom told Auntie Lubna about the car rides. I really didn't want to seem rude but I just was comfortable with the idea.

When I went downstairs, Auntie Lubna pulled me to the side gently.

"Assalam O Alaikom Layla I'm so sorry if I tried to make you uncomfortable by having you drive with Hamza and everything." She says worryingly.

"Wa Alaikom Assalam Auntie Lubna. Plus it's not your fault at all. It was just a small misunderstanding." I say trying to comfort her.

"Ok ok now go and have breakfast!" I smile and nod to her going to the table.

"Asalam O Alaikom everyone." I say with a huge smile on my face.

"Wa Alaikom Assalam." Everyone says.

I get my mom to serve me some crepes, Nutella, strawberries, and a glass of guava juice. Subhan Allah the food was great and I reminded mom and Auntie Lubna of that.

Hamza was wearing black jeans, and a white V-neck t-shirt that showed off his muscles. I keep my eyes down after that because ogling someone of the opposite gender is just wrong and Astaghfirullah!

I call Saafiya and Umme and tell them to pick me up after I finish breakfast. I then 0go to my room while I wait. I look out my window waiting for them to pull up.

I see Hamza pulling out of the driveway and he catches me looking at him. He smiles and waves bye to me and I do the same.

Saafiya and Umme come a couple of minutes after Hamza leaves, and I get in. We say our Salaams as well.

"So what happened with this "family friend" of yours?" Saafiya said smiling.

"So let's just say that it didn't work out. Plus you won't believe what my mom told me yesterday!" I
say excitedly.

"What did she say. Don't keep us hanging." Umme scolded.

"She said that I had a marriage proposal and the guy is our age but he and his family want him to be a secret until we get married." I say.

"Lucky girl!" Umme says.

"Oh my, you're not joking are you?" Saafiya says.

"No this Subhan Allah is for real." I say.

"So you have no idea whatsoever who he is?" Saafiya says.

"No idea whatsoever." I tell her.

"What if it's someone you know." Umme says.

"I don't know that many guys Umme." I say.

"Well that is true." Saafiya says.

I hit her playfully and we all laugh. We arrive at school a couple of minutes after and walk to their locker first and then go to biology class.

We see that we have 5 minutes until class actually starts. Today is the day that we dissect the frog and you can say that I've been feeling a bit antsy and excited about the dissection.

Hamza walks in just a minute before the bell rings. Mr. Chase is wearing his lab coat and is placing the frogs one by one around the room at different stations. Once the announcements are finished, Mr. Chase starts giving us instructions.

"So you guys know where your frog to dissect is. All of you guys should go to your stations and read over the instructions. Once you and your partner have settled in, you can start the lab. Remember if you need any help...you know where I am." He finishes off and we all go to our stations.

"Ok we can split the dissection part of the lab and I'll type up the first half of the questions and you can do the second half of the questions, okay?" Hamza asks.

"Ya sure. That seems fair enough."

We read the instructions in silence. My mind was concentrated on the frog though. I wouldn't mind the dissection probably but I think the smell is starting to get to me. The smell is so tangents and horrendously fishy.

I close my eyes and try to concentrate on anything but the smell. I open my eyes and see that I can't do anything about that dang frog smell as it obviously is still there. I know it's the chemicals and not the actual frog but whatever.

We decide to start the dissection after reading the instructions. He makes the first few cuts and I do a couple after that. My headache that I was ignoring before just started to get worse and I was getting a bit lightheaded.

"You can do a bit more for the next little while. The smell is kind of bothering me." I say honestly to him.

"Oh okay. You can go out of the classroom to get a breath of air if you need it." He says concerned.

"No I should be fine." I say although I feel dizziness is welcoming me like a hug.

"You don't look fine." He stops dissecting and looks at me.

"I am f-" Block spots cloud my vision and I fall to the ground before I get to finish my sentence.

"Layla wake up." Hamza says but I'm too far into la-la land that I let go of whatever consciousness I have and welcome the darkness."

--------------------------------------------------------

AN: Assalam O Alaikom readers! I had a fun time writing this chapter and I hope you guys like it. Some people might say that it is just a basic dissection but the thing is that they do put lots of chemicals in the frog that do have side effects to the person who is doing the dissection so no it's not like Layla is generally weak and sensitive.

This chapter is not edited yet. I updated a bit sooner than I thought I would, but it's because I will be very busy for the next 2 weeks so the next chapter might take a while to uploaded.

Please remember to...

Vote

Comment

Follow

*Remember that your comments make my day and encourage me to write more. This book like I previously mentioned in the last chapter, should teach us basic lessons and remind us to keep our hopes in Allah (swt) at all times and even when all else is wrong. Until next time... Allah Fiz.