The Terrors of Loneliness - Chapter 13

Lucas lifted his head and looked over Hannah's shoulder at Ruth, "Could you give us a minute?" Ruth raised her eyebrows at him but said nothing as she left the room.

He led Hannah to one of the sofas and took her hands in his as they sat down. He hadn't planned what he was going to say to her and looking at her now all he wanted to do was take her home, shut the world out and forget everything except loving her. "How are you feeling?" he kissed the backs of her hands.

"Calmer now you're here," Hannah smiled wearily. "Harry came and asked me questions...I don't know if I was any help. I don't really understand why I'm here." Her brow creased.

Lucas shifted uneasily next to her and looked away, running a hand through his hair. "We've found out that Ian Selby had some surprising connections. Harry just had to make sure there wasn't anything else you could remember."

Hannah nodded and then frowned again. "Why was he asking me about my family?"

Lucas closed his eyes, leant forward and pressed his forehead against Hannah's, battling between his conscience and his duty. He'd promised Harry he wouldn't say anything to her about her father and deep down he knew that was the right decision. It did seem so unfair though, that she should have spent so long grieving for a man that was still very much alive. He tucked a finger under her chin, lifted her face up and kissed her gently on the lips. "Do you trust me?" He opened his eyes and looked into Hannah's pale green ones.

Hannah nodded, "Completely."

A twinge of guilt fluttered in the back of Lucas's mind but he pushed it away. "Then I need you to trust me when I say that there really is nothing for you to worry about. You're safe..."

"But those questions...it seemed odd. Do you think...?" Lucas cut her off with another kiss.

"Trust me...ok?"

--

Hannah did trust him. She meant it when she said she trusted him completely. But something wasn't quite adding up. At first she thought it was her anxiety taking over but she definitely had the distinct impression that she was missing something. Sighing she decided to let it go so she nodded, "OK."

Lucas smiled softly and hugged her tightly. Enfolded in his arms with her face buried in his neck she felt safe and loved. She decided that with him by her side she could face anything. "When can we leave?"

Lucas stroked her hair. "Someone will take you home soon but I have to stay and work. Will you be ok going home alone?" She could sense the concern in his voice and swallowing her fears she nodded.

"I'll be fine. Will I..." she hesitated, not wanting to ask too much of him, "will I see you later?"

"Yes...of course." He kissed her forehead and released her from his arms.

A short while later after a few more reassurances he'd gone and she was being driven home still feeling confused about what had just happened. She put any fears relating to the questions she'd been asked at the back of the mind, putting all her trust in Lucas.

--

Lucas walked back onto the Grid and sat down at his desk putting his head in his hands. He hadn't lied to Hannah but he had kept things from her and he hated it.

"You OK?" Dimitri came out of Harry's office and perched on Lucas's desk.

"I'm fine," Lucas sighed, "It's Hannah I'm worried about...what will this do to her if she finds out? It's bound to come out at some point. She could just bump into him for Christ's sake!"

Dimitri shrugged, "Harry's having him brought in."

Lucas felt his heart drop. He wasn't surprised...he'd just hoped things could be left as they were. "Now?"