The Terrors of Loneliness - Chapter 4

Hannah looked up at Lucas in surprise, “What do you mean?”  She searched his face, not understanding. 

He sighed and gently led her into the living room.  He sat her down on the sofa and pulling up a footstool sat in front of her.  Hannah looked down at her hands as he took hold of them, “My name isn’t Daniel,” he paused, and took a deep breath “It’s Lucas…Lucas North.”

Hannah’s head hurt, she’d never felt so confused.  She frowned, “So why did you say it was Daniel?”  She looked up and saw that he had a pained expression on his face.

“I’m sorry I lied,” he said, “My job means I have no choice sometimes.”  He was absent-mindedly running his thumbs back and forth across the tops of her hands.  She noticed he had smooth hands that were slender and elegant yet strong.  His touch was sensual somehow and she felt a slight frisson of something unexpected.

“Lucas North”, Hannah tried his name, “Why did you need to lie to me?”

“It’s safer that no-one knows.  I never tell anyone my real name…at least not straight away,” he lifted his right hand and stretched it over his mouth and jaw, rubbing his face with a sigh.

“So why tell me now?” Hannah stared at him. Exhaustion was setting in and her bottom lip wobbled slightly as tears threatened to fall again.

He stared back, his blue eyes full of uncertainty.  He shook his head slightly, “Honestly? I don’t know,” he looked suddenly bashful, “I just…just wanted you to know.”

Hannah felt tears roll down her cheek again and she bent her head forward.  She didn’t want to keep crying but she couldn’t stop.  Suddenly she was aware of his smooth hands cupping her face, lifting it up and his thumbs wiping away her tears.  Then he was beside her on the sofa pulling her into a soft embrace.  There was something so comforting about his presence.  The thought of him leaving her alone was unbearable and she buried her face in his chest, sobbing once more.

--

Lucas sat back on the sofa, cradling Hannah in his arms.  He knew he shouldn’t have told her his name.  She was a witness, a victim, and here he was holding her in his arms wanting more than anything else in the world to kiss her tears away.  It had been a long time since he’d felt needed like this.  He was at a loss to explain the closeness he felt to this girl in his arms…to someone he barely knew, but he sensed a kindred spirit.

He realised she’d stopped crying.  He looked down and pushing the curls away from her face he saw that she’d actually fallen asleep.  He allowed himself the indulgence of looking at her face, taking in the smattering of freckles across the top of her nose, the long eyelashes wet with tears, the perfect Cupid’s bow.  She was, he thought, quite simply beautiful, and he suspected she had no idea.

Careful not to wake her he sat up and lifting her in his arms, he carried her up the stairs.  Looking in the bedrooms, he established which was hers, more books and a Blake print on the wall: Adam and Eve Sleeping.  He laid her gently on the bed and removed her shoes. He considered trying to loosen her clothing but decided that might be considered inappropriate so he just pulled the throw off the end of the bed and covered her with it.  As he pulled it up over her shoulders he paused, looking down at her tear-stained face.  Without thinking he leant forward pressing his lips to her forehead with a soft kiss, lingering maybe a moment too long.  Sighing quietly to himself he turned to leave.

He felt a hand slide into his. “Please stay with me,” she whispered.

Lucas was about to refuse but then he turned and looked down into those pale green eyes and knew he was lost.  He nodded and without saying a word he kicked his shoes off and lay down next to her, pulling her into his arms.