Epilogue

"You see, sometimes it's not about having the strength to hold on, it's about having the courage to let go." -Mr. Amari Soul

T R I N I T Y

Three years later...

What does happy ever after mean to you? A shiny fairytale wedding or dying together out of old age? The latter seems perfect. At least to me it does. What does it feel like to be in love all your life?

I don't know and maybe I never will because me and Zac. We didn't end up this way. After loving me for more than two years he felt himself falling for someone else. Maybe he had too much love in him, or maybe I was too broken to be fixed.

I tried to stop him. I begged him to stay back because somehow he gave some sense to my stupid life, he somehow made me happy but he didn't stop. His happiness mattered. Maybe that's when I realised, my happiness matters too and I can't just expect someone to make me happy unless I can't make myself happy.

The realisation was hard and I didn't get it in a day. It took me more than a few days to grasp the fact that Zac, had abandoned me. He had been my only support in the passing time, and I was so addicted to him that I had alienated myself to the point that I had no friends left except the ones who cared too much for me. Sia was one of them. Surprising for me too because Cade left and so did Leo.

Though it was purely my fault. So I never blamed them. I distanced myself from them so that I could pay attention to Zac. I blamed myself for being so maddeningly in love that I forgot that there were other people around me.

The night Zac confessed that he loved me but he liked someone else, made me numb. It was as if I couldn't feel the cold biting on my skin or the pain in my heart. Not a single drop of tear escaped my eyes. I just sat simply. Talking to him, asking him if it's some joke he's trying to play me with. As the night rolled on, and day came I met him. We talked more and when I finally had to accept that he was choosing someone over me. I cried.

I cried as he cupped my face and kept saying sorry but not once, did he ask me to come back and make things right with him. I don't know whether it was hard for him, but he did cry too. Maybe those tears were as shallow as his love for me, as shallow as his promises to save me. The next moment after he cried, he also confessed that he had been cheating me for the last two weeks we were together with the same girl.

Poor guy, what could he do? He was in love with two people at the same time.

The same evening when I leaned my head on the window of the cab I was returning home in, he was there beside me. Our hands interwind for one last time as prepared my heart for the final good bye. I had faced my worst nightmare in my own skin, how could the last good bye break me now?

But I still looked back when he left. He didn't. He took the same cab and went back to the girl he loved now. Our relationship status changed to friends now. I was still holding on to the last thread to be with him. Just to be with him.

But my self conscious awakened in the meantime. Something which I never expected. He had consumed me in a way that I lost my touch with myself. I saw what he made me see, I sensed what he made me sense, I felt what he made me feel. I was him. Completely.

The shackles of his illusions broke down that day. I proudly stopped talking to him. My nights stopped ending with him. My days stopped starting with him. The silence I had become was deafening to myself. At a point I believed I had lost the ability to feel altogether.

Then came back Cade. Then Leo and slowly, I found myself surrounded by all the people I have called friends. It felt like a dream, having them back. Having them forgive me for the mistakes I made. It was their love, which saved me again.

But this time I knew. I couldn't be the old Trinity. Neither could I be Rayne. I couldn't wait for other people to be my hero. I had to be my own hero. I had to save myself.