Chapter 2

Natsu's P.O.V

"Sorry I'm late, Levy. I had to find a way out of the house." I say walking up to the small girl. She looks at me incredulously.

"Why would you need to sneak out?" She asks as she stands from the bench she was sitting on.

"It wasn't so much of 'sneaking out,' Luce was just asking a lot of questions and I woke up a bit late."

Earlier that morning

-

"You're never up this early in the morning, going somewhere?" Lucy asks from behind me, leaning on the door frame.

"Yeah, Erza asked me to help her with something. I tried to decline but she threatened me," I lie through my teeth. I hope she isn't suspicious.

"She can be pretty scary sometimes. Are you gonna eat breakfast before you go?" She asks, walking down the hall towards the kitchen. I really wanna eat but I'm already late.

"Uh, I don't have time. I was actually supposed to head out a while ago. I'll pick something up on the way there." She looks at me weirdly and steps a bit closer.

"Wow, I've never heard that one before. Are you feeling okay? You always want to eat at home no matter how late you are."

I smile nervously, "Yeah well this is Erza I'm dealing with."

"Alright, well, be careful." She says and kisses me on the cheek.

-

"Whatever, the jewelers opens soon so we'll be the first ones there!" She claps with a gleam in her eye.

"You're more excited about this than I am, Pipsqueak," I say laughing at her antics. She kicks me in the back of the knee.

"Stop calling me that! I already have to deal with Gajeel," She pouts and folds her arms.

"Yeah yeah, alright. Only because you're helping me!"

We walk into the store and see an old man behind the counter. He quickly greets us and asks what he can help us with. Levy immediately takes initiative and spills everything to the old man behind the counter. He grins and leads us over to a glass case on the other side of the room.

"I have some lovely rings for you here. Anything, in particular, you're looking for?" He asks, sliding the back of the case open.

"I know absolutely nothing about rings." I stare blankly. The old man chuckles, "Well it's my job to help people like you so don't fret! Now, can you show me a picture of your bride-to-be?" He asks.

I pulled up a picture from a recent date we went on and handed him the phone. He examines it closely and hums in consideration.

"Well now she has quite dainty hands, doesn't she? Since it appears that she has long, slender fingers she'll probably look best in a petite four-pronged ring; most likely a princess or cushion cut," He rambles to himself. I look to Levy and she just shrugs her shoulders. We let the man think for a second until he shows us a case of rings.

After what seemed like hours of contemplation and comments from Levy, I finally settled on a ring. I hand the old man Lucy's ring for him to size and we square away the payment.

"That was a lot," I sigh as we finally leave the store.

"It was but it was worth it. I mean just look at this ring! She's gonna love it, Natsu!" She squeals holding the box up to her face. I take it from her and slide it in my pocket.

"Now I just need to think of how to pop the question. Any ideas?" I ask the small woman next to me. She taps her chin before she speaks,

"Think about the things that Lucy loves."

"Lucy appreciates many things," I turn to Levy, "I don't know!"

"God stop your whining! For now, just go home and think about it. Let me know when you've got it!" Levy says walking to her car.