The Kitten of Doom?

Srry this chapter is short!

Charlotte P.O.V.

In the level of every difficulty lies opportunity.

~Albert Einstein

The flash of light blinded me temporarily and I jumped back a bit. When I regained my eyesight, a woman in a tight green dress and bejeweled glasses smiled at us, a quick-notes quill hovering over a floating notepad. A cameraman stood beside her, a smile on his face. Draco took a sharp intake of breath, but still had his arm draped over my shoulder. I felt comfortable, so did nothing about it.

"Ooh," The woman said. "Young love! Tell me about yourselves. We all know Draco Malfoy, whose parents are imprisoned for life in Azkaban, but this new girl, cute, small, thin, and quirky-looking. Who is she?"

"I'm Charlotte Campbell." I muttered.

"Fantastic. Now, how are your parents reacting to this new life risking event, the Triwizard tournament? Proud? Happy? Concerned? Scared? Or confused?"

It felt as if an ice dagger had been sliced through my skin. My parents... Mom... I missed her laugh... Dad... I missed his goofy personality. I turned and buried my face into Draco's chest, crying at the very mention of Mom and Dad. I felt Draco wrap his arms around me and another flash of light flickered behind me. "You cockroach, Skeeter!" I heard Draco yell at the woman. "Charlotte's parents died only five weeks ago! Leave her alone and sod off!"

She sighed. "Oh, well. I've got everything I need. Goodbye, then." Clicking heels faded into the rising sun and Draco murmured, "She's gone, Charlotte."

I pulled out of the hug and Draco wrapped his arms around my waist. My heart skipped a beat or two, then began racing.

"Charlotte, whatever the first task is, I'll be there supporting you. I don't think I can be your friend, though."

My stomach dropped and I stared, stunned at Draco. He couldn't, he wouldn't... But he just did. I didn't want to look him in the eyes, but those grey orbs he had bared blue flecks and sparkled lightly. He was really charming. "I'm sorry, Charlotte." He murmured, bringing his face closer to mine. I froze, unaware of what he was planning. "I can't be your friend because I feel more. I feel so much more."

I shook my head. "Boys," I whispered. He brought his lips so close that they were an inch away from mine. "Do you have feelings for me, Charlotte Campbell?" his breath brushed past my lips.

I thought for a moment. Not about my decision, but what had led me to it so quickly and effortlessly.

"... Yes. Yes, I do." I whispered. And his lips met mine in a soft, lingering kiss. After a moment, he pulled away, grinning. "Good to know." He said silkily. "Let's find out what that first task is."

I smiled widely and we paced around the tower for a moment before finding a small grey kitten napping on the very ledge. I poked it, intending to wake it up, and saw the kitten stir, but it didn't look normal. It twisted jerkily and awkwardly, its limbs curling and snapping. I jumped back, horrified. Was I seeing death?

The harmless baby went limp.

I backed up into Draco's arms, which secured around me instantly. "We have to get out," I whispered, eying a black mist swirling through the kitten's dead, glass-like eyes. "Cmon." I pushed him back, keeping my eyes on the lifeless figure. The kitten jerked and I turned and ran, pulling Draco behind me. A giant skreak sounded before I slammed the door behind us. "What the hell was that?!" I shouted, sheltering myself inside of Draco's arms.

"That, Char Char," Draco whispered. "Is the first task."

(Glacier P.O.V.)

Charlotte connected her mouth with a boy's. Was this called... Kissing? Yes, kissing. It lasted for a good minute and I huffed, turning my attention to Cass. She was eyeing a little kitten on the edge of a tower. I saw Charlotte and the boy walking to the feline and it stirred. Cass sniffed the air and choked. "What?" I asked.

"Death is in the air. Don't breathe." she growled, her coal black eyes squinting and fixed on the cat. It twitched, then died. I breathed in slowly and winced. "Cass, that's not death." I warned.

"What is it?" She sniffed.

"That... That is the smell of near immortality, Cass."

I remembered the Triwizard tournament and the three tasks Lollie told me about. Was fighting an undead creature the first? A screech proved me right.

This is not your regular competition.

Authors note:

So sorry for leaving you on the Mysteries, Mysteries. Chapter! I was on vacation in Mexico! I hope you liked this chapter, though! I made it for you Charlotte/Draco fanatics. I was originally going to put the first kiss in chapter 10, but I thought this would make up for the bad cliffy!

XoxOxoXoxOxoXo,

Kangawhale. <3