The Chalice of Ice

Authors note: I've decided to put a quote at the beginning of every chapter that represents something that happens. But now for some gushy crap. In the first day of my published story, the second chapter received 27 reads. I was speechless. I want to thank all of my readers, and personally my fans. I love you all and hope you enjoy the chapter where suspense hangs low in the air... Ooh... Scary...

Charlotte P.O.V.

Faith is taking the first step when you don't see the whole staircase.

~ Martin Luther King Jr.

This Draco, he cared. I've tried to vent to my friends like that, but never gotten any comfort. Since Mom and Dad died, I had shut myself away. Draco somehow knew how to figure me out. Was he different than Beatrix, who was a bit of an LG? Was he different than Paisley, who had a hard time concentrating? Could I have met the person I was looking for? I shook it off as the legendary Albus Dumbledore began to speak. "Welcome, beautiful ladies of Zasilia." he smiled. I liked him already. "Later this evening, a different school will be visiting. But now I'm sure you all wonder what Zasilia is doing here. Well, this year, we will be holding the Triwizard tournament!"

Chatter broke out and Draco whispered in my ear. "You know what that is, right?"

I shivered at the feel of his cool breath and nodded.

"The three tasks included in this, mind you, are extremely dangerous. But enough of that! It's time to present the famous Chalice of Ice!"

(Reality check!

During Voldemort's reign, Death Eaters destroyed the Chalice of Ice in order to put the ministry at haste to create the Goblet of Fire, which was bugged out terribly, therefore selecting Harry as a champion.)

A big sheet was pulled off of a stool and a glittering, silver Chalice stood there, encrusted with what looked like ice. "Let me tell you how this system works," Dumbledore said brightly. "All you have to do is write your name down on a piece of paper and put it in the chalice! Names will be selected by the chalice tomorrow, so get them in fast! Also, we do have a rule for safety reasons. Nobody under the age of fourteen will be allowed to enter. Thank you for understanding. Good luck!"

"Are you gonna enter?" I asked Draco.

"I will if you will." He smiled. My heart skipped a beat and I nodded. We walked over to a nearby classroom and ironically found the chalice sitting there. Draco found a piece of parchment and ripped it into little fractions. He handed me a piece and a stunning peacock feather quill. "Keep it." He said. "As a token of our friendship."

"Well, dammit." I cursed. "I would've gotten you something."

"Please don't. I don't need anything."

"Draco, please." I protested as I scrawled the words, 'Charlotte Campbell' on the parchment. "You of all people deserve it. After what you've done for me. And now you give me a present? That's not fair."

He cracked a smile. "Life isn't fair, Charlotte."

I grinned back and held out my hand. "Together?"

"Together." he took it and we put our names into the chalice, which exploded with ice.

"Wouldn't it be wild if we both got selected?" I asked.

"It would." Draco let go of my hand and I felt the place where it was grow cold. That was strange. I turned to face him. "So, where am I staying?" I asked him.

"Dumbledore said something earlier about Pegasun staying in Slytherin common room, if that's what you mean." Draco shrugged.

"Is Slytherin a house like Pegasun?"