Chapter 3

After school, I walk to the diner that's just a few blocks from my brother and I's apartment. I'm hoping that I can save up some money and get a car, and then maybe in a few years I can go to college.

I walk through the door and head straight for the counter.

"Hi, I was wondering if I can have an application?" I ask a random worker. He hands me one, and I head to the back of the store to work on it.

Name: Jade Renae Morgan. Address: 1246 East 6th, Sunrise Apartments #13. Do you have any experience? I name off some places where I worked while I lived with my dad. I continue answering questions until I hear footsteps coming my way. I look up to see a waitress standing by my table.

"Hello, I'm Kamren and I'll be your server today. Can I start you guys off with some drinks?" She asks. What does she mean by you guys? I look across my booth to see Asher sitting there. My eyes widen.

"Wh- when did you get here?" I ask him.

"I've been here for a while." He says.

I scrunch my eyes up in confusion. I hadn't even heard him. I shake my head and tell the waitress a drink that I want.

She asks Asher what he wants and he says he isn't having anything.

Once she left, I go back to my application. I can feel Asher's eyes on me the entire time, and it's really distracting me. I've been staring at the same question for about five minutes.

"Can't remember your phone number?" He asks me.

I glare at him, "Did you just come here to stare at me?"

He smiles and says yes.

That surprises me, "Really?"

I'm glad when he says no this time, "Good, because that would be kind of stalkerish if it was true."

The server comes back and gives me my drink. I tell her that I don't want anything to eat, but give her my application, which I had finally finished.

I slowly sip my drink as Asher and I stare at each other.

He does have very beautiful eyes. I could stare at them all day. I wonder if they are actually the color of the forest. I'd have to see. They're bright, so I'd have to go out in the morning. Maybe he'd come with me. He seems to like following me places and staring at me, with his big, bright green eyes- Wait, we've already been there.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "So, um... Why did you come here? If you didn't want any food?"

"Oh, well, uh..." He thinks for a moment. "I'm meeting a friend, who seems to have bailed on me, so I thought I would sit with you."

"I'm sorry." I apologize.

"It's ok, we were only going to talk about... food and stuff." He says nervously.

"Food?"

"Ya, you know, the different food stuff on the, um, food pyramid?"

I notice how he's stiff in his posture and twiddling with his thumbs.

"Asher? Really?" I ask him, hoping that he will actually tell me the truth.

He sighs and mumbles something like 'I can't lie to you' before saying, "So I didn't actually come here to meet a friend. I came here to hang out with you. You seem like a cool person and I thought we could be... friends."

For some reason, I feel really sad when he only said friends. Do I really want to be something more with him?

"Uh, ya, that'd be nice. I could use some friends." I say with a smile.

"Awesome." he smiles too, "So, Tristan and the other friends you met earlier and I are going to go catch a movie and maybe get some ice cream afterwards, and I was wondering if you wanted to tag along?"

I don't think that I have anything else tonight, so I say yes and we both smile. I love his smile.

After a while of talking, I decide that I should head home.

"Can I walk you?" he offers.

I think about it, and even though I really want to, I decline. I barely know him, and I think that it's better that I get to know him first.

After assuring him that I will be safe, I start walking home.

Sorry guys, I felt like I could do a lot better on this chapter, but at least it's up =)