Chapter 11

Sorry it's been so long guys. Here it is!

I slam our apartment door shut as I get home after school. Charlie's eyes snap to mine as he hears the loud noise. I walk over to him.

"Do you not trust me?" I ask him.

"Of course, I trust you." He tells me, but he's confused as to why I asked.

"Then why did you make Alec stay with me all day? Is it my friends you don't trust?"

He seems to understand now. "They've done things, Jade. Things you wouldn't understand."

"I'm sure you've done things I wouldn't understand either, Charlie." He looks surprised. "Why are you so well known around town, huh? Why, when I told my friends our last name, did they not feel comfortable around me anymore? Why do you want me to stay away from them so badly?"

Charlie tried to stay calm as I asked him all my questions, but he finally blurts out, "Our families have never gotten along. We're practically rivals."

"Why are we practically rivals? And why is it so bad that I'm trying to fix the broken bond?" I ask him.

"Some people just don't want it to be fixed." Charlie tells me.

"What did they do that makes you hate them so much?" I raise my voice.

"I can't... I can't talk about it!"

"What? Is it some sort of family secret? If it is, then I still have the right to know! I am still part of this family, aren't I?" I practically yell.

Charlie looks hurt. He stands up, walks over to me, and embraces me. "Of course, you are."

"Then why are you keeping so many secrets from me?" I whisper.

He breaks away from me and starts to get angry again. "Because I can't!" He yells. "It's not the right time to tell you yet!"

"When will the right time be, Charlie?"

"I don't know! It's just not now!"

"If it's not now, then we both know that you're just going to keep pushing it off, and I deserve to know!" I say.

"Enough, Jade! That's enough! I'm not telling you anything until you're ready, and that's final!" Charlie yells before storming out of the house and into the woods. It's not uncommon for him to do that if his temper gets the best of him or when he's stressed out.

I run to my room and lie down on my bed. After fifteen minutes of just lying there, my phone vibrates.

Unknown number: Do you still want to come over today?