Chapter 2

Word spreads fast in high school. Pretty much everyone has heard that the loner girl is back in town, and they have definitely showed me that they know.

I have been pushed into lockers, had the books knocked out of my hands, called names behind my back when they think I can't hear them, and so much more. And it's only been one period.

The lunch bell rings, signaling that I'm halfway through my first day back. I remember that Tristan had invited me to sit with him and his friends at lunch. I wonder if he's still up for that, even though he's probably heard the rumors.

I grab a sandwich from the cafeteria and start looking for him. I can't see him, so I head outside and see him sitting at a picnic table with 2 other boys and 2 girls.

I slowly walk up to the edge of the table, and they all look at me. I can feel myself blush. I'm never good in front of crowds. I guess you can say I'm shy, but I have my reasons.

"Hey Tristan," I turn to him, "can I still sit with you guys?"

He smiles, "Of course, why wouldn't you be able to?"

They didn't hear? Or do they just not care? "No reason." I sit down in the empty seat on the other side of him.

"Jade, this is Kate," the blondie with Tristan's arm on her shoulders, "Piper," the brunette sitting across the table from Kate, "Brody," the brunette holding Piper's hand, "and Asher." He's sitting right in front of me. My heartbeat accelerates as I get a good look at him. He has short, light brown hair that goes to the very tips of his ears and forest green eyes that seem to look right through my soul. He has chiseled features and full, kissable lips. He's absolutely the most handsome guy I have ever seen.

Once I notice that I was staring, I look down and start unwrapping my sandwich. I just eat little bites as I try to ignore the feel of Asher's unmoving eyes on me.

I hear mumbles of the group talking as I zone out. I do this a lot. Just hanging out in my own little world. I usually think about plans later today, or what homework I have to do, but this time I'm thinking about the people sitting at the table with me.

Who are they? I haven't even gotten a last name yet. They seem really close. Are some of them related? And what about all of those other new kids throughout the school? Who are they? I heard that they all moved here at the same time. Did Tristan and Asher have anything to do with them?

"Jade."

Do they have answers to my questions?

"Jade." Someone pushes my shoulder and I come out of my own little world just in time to hear a growl. I look over at Asher to see him glaring at Tristan who, I figure out, had pushed my shoulder. Why would Asher be glaring at Tristan?

Then Asher's eyes get unfocused. I look over at Tristan to see his eyes doing the same thing. What the heck?

"I think I'm going to go." I tell them.

After I say that, Asher's eyes flick to mine, and they look hurt. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

Piper apparently notices that it's getting weird, and she says, "Well, it was nice meeting you, Jade. I hope to see you around."

I nod my head and walk away, even though I don't really want to. For some reason, I want to walk back to Asher and do unspeakable things.

I shake my head. Where are these thoughts coming from?

I grab my books from my locker and head towards my next class. Once there, I sit in the back and try to pay attention to the lesson.

As I'm walking down the hall, I head to my last class of the day. So far, since after lunch, I haven't been bullied.

Then I feel myself being grabbed from behind and all of my books fall from my shaky hands.

"Gotcha." It's Maddox.

He lifts me up and shoves me into an open locker. He slams the door and I can hear his voice, that's yelling names at me, slowly fading. He must be walking down the hall.

I pound on the door a few times, yelling, hoping that someone would let me out. But I stop once I hear a sickening crack and a few gasps. I hear fading footsteps, almost like someone is running away.

I wait for a second and am about to bang on the door again, when it's opened by none other than Asher.

I smile and thank him. He smiles too.

I slowly step out of the locker and start picking up my books. Once I have them all gathered, I get up to see Asher holding out some more that he must've picked up. I smile and thank him again.

"Can I walk you to class?" He randomly asks.

"Sure." He did save me. Sort of.

We walk towards my Chemistry class in silence, but it's a comfortable one. He keeps on opening and closing his mouth, almost like he wants to say something but is afraid to. Why would he be afraid?

We stop at the door to the room, and I thank him for a third time.

"You don't have to thank me." He finally says.

"But I want to." I tell him and then walk into the classroom.

I'm happy that it's finally the end of the day, well, after this period. I can go home and hang out with Charlie, my brother, and I don't have to worry about any bullies or confused feelings.

Just as the class is about to start, Maddox walks in holding a paper towel to his bloody nose.

"Mr. Kowell, do you have a reason for being late to my class?" the teacher asks him.

He mumbles 'nurse' and hands the teacher a note.

Before sitting down, he gives me a glare.

What happened?