Chapter Twenty-Three

"Hold on to me," Jamie instructed as Eddie climbed into the seat of a New York City carriage for a midday ride around Central Park. It was the last day of their vacation, and they wanted to make one more romantic memory together. Eddie had her chemo that coming Monday, and it would be another nine days of pain, vomiting, and exhaustion.

"I'm okay, Jamie," Eddie assured him. "You're going to worry yourself into a heart attack one of these days. Erin was right; you did have worry lines as an infant. I should give you one of those face creams I use to get rid of my laugh lines and crow's feet."

"You don't need any of that stuff, you're as beautiful as the day I met you, maybe more," Jamie placed his forehead against hers and used the blanket he brought with them to wrap Eddie and tuck her to his side. The carriage started to move, the day was beautiful, and the foliage made everything look new. Spring was just beginning to dawn, with all the hope of life it always brought.

They watched couples, families, and tourist going by as Eddie laid her head on Jamie's shoulder. "My dad is going to come to Joey's communion," she told him as they rode. "Can you please have a talk with yours about being civil? I know they don't along well, but I don't want anything to ruin Joey's big day."

"Or yours?" Jamie asked. "You've been preparing for this day almost as long as Joey has. Erin offered to take you shopping for a dress that will help to hide some of the changes in your body if you don't want all the questions."

Eddie thought a minute, "You know what, if I do that it's going to be for me, not for anyone else. If I get the reconstruction, it will be for me or for us, not because someone says I should."

Jamie looked down at his wife, beaming with pride. "That's my girl, I'm so glad to see you back. I know you have six rounds to go, but since the radiation stopped you are more and more like the Eddie I remember."

"It was just so hard, Jamie. My body felt like lead most of the time. I felt terrible for neglecting you and the kids and our marriage." She entwined her fingers with his.

"Well, we kept things together. We worked as a team, we asked for help when we needed it, and I think this weekend took great care of the marriage. I have no fear that our marriage is as solid as it ever was so wherever your crazy head is off to bring it back right now."

When their ride was over, Jamie tipped the driver and handed Eddie down from the seat. They walked a short way and picked up some pretzels and pizza from a sidewalk vendor. They had reservations that night, but it was pretty clear that Eddie was tired. "You want to lie down and take a nap?"

Eddie nodded, "Wake me so I can get ready for dinner. I just need a few minutes..." He voice faded and she shut her eyes asleep before she completely finished her sentence.

Jamie read some magazines and watched the TV with the volume on low. An hour before dinner, Jamie nudged Eddie slightly, she was so tired she only rolled over and fell back to sleep. Jamie knew her heart would be broken if she felt like she ruined their last romantic night, but he also knew she was too tired to handle a night out.

Jamie stepped outside and made a phone call. He carefully explained that his wife was sick with cancer, they had planned a night out, but her treatments were such that she was too tired to attend. The manager agreed to help him and he delivered a romantic dinner for two complete with candles, a waiter, and a bottle of sparkling cider. Jamie knew he'd pay through the nose, but it would be worth it.

It was the aroma of a freshly prepared steak and shrimp that finally woke Eddie. She looked at the clock, seven fifteen. They had a seven pm reservation. "Jamie, why didn't you wake...?" She began then saw the beautiful spread Jamie had arranged. The table had a white linen tablecloth, two candles were lit in silver candlesticks, and two plates were filled with a fine cut filet and lobster awaited them. "Oh Jamie..."