Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"I want you to eat as much as you want," Frank told Eddie after she completed her consultation and simulation. She would begin her radiation therapy on Wednesday and attend Monday through Friday for ten weeks. It was going to take a long time to penetrate the tissue the cancer had infiltrated.

"I'm not really hungry, Frank, but thank you," Eddie replied. "I can't believe Jamie did this. We sat down and had this talk, it's not like I just expected him to be there. We had this talk. Once I came clean and told him what was happening, we had this talk."

"I know you're upset, sweetheart. Jamie is in a hard place. Your treatments will cost a lot more than you two have in your nest egg. If he gets a promotion the benefits get better, the paycheck gets bigger and he worried less."

"My father could help, he offered money and to hire some help but Jamie is stubborn..."

"Jamie won't touch is money, Eddie. I know he is your dad but it's ill gotten gains even if he served his time. I have money saved, I can help."

Eddie nodded, "I know, Frank and I appreciate it. But this isn't about money, it's about Jamie feeling like he has to be a man in his big brother's eyes, when he already is one of the best men I know. That doesn't mean he's off the hook, because believe me he is not."

Jamie got home at five that night. He knew Eddie would be upset with him so he played it calm and slow. "Hey honey," he said smiling at her. She was in the kitchen making the kids their dinner, hot dogs and mac and cheese. Not a meal he particularly enjoyed.

"Hello," Eddie said coldly. "If you want to eat there's more in the pot." She sat down not making his plate and said grace with their kids. They both could sense the tension in the room. Jamie at his supper in silence as did the rest of the family.

When the dishes were cleared from the table Joey took Lila's hand, "Come on Lila, we have to go play in the other room." Even the seven year old could tell that his parent's had to air something out. They didn't fight much but when they did it started like this.

When Eddie heard Joey's door shut she turned around with her arms crossed over her chest. "Did we or did we not have this talk?"

"Eddie, I'm sorry..." Jamie began. "A little girl witnessed a murder of both of her parents. Danny wanted me to...."

"Danny wanted you to what?" Eddie asked. "You aren't even in the homicide squad, you are in the property crimes and sexual assault unit. What business do you have at a murder!"

"It's a good opportunity," Jamie defended. "It will make things easier. It will pay the bills for your treatments."

"We have insurance to pay for that! We can ask my Dad to help with that, your dad can help with that. When Lila gets older, I can go back to work and we can pay them back. I know I kept you in the dark Jamie, and I am sorry for that. But we had this talk. We talked about us being at team once I told you the truth. What happened?" Eddie was very upset and started to pace.

"I had to make a choice," Jamie replied. "If I advance my career now, it's good for all of us. I'm going to forty, if I don't make first grade soon I might as well quit all together and get a job in a personal injury firm."

Eddie started to do dishes, she always put her anger into her housework. "Maybe you should do that then! Jamie, I get that you have an important job, I really do. In fact, the whole idea of you going on a desk while I was sick was your idea! You were the one that said how important that was to you. If you changed your mind, that is find, but you could have at least taken enough time to call your father yourself!"