Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Keep the wound dry and clean," the nurse instructed as she handed Eddie and Jamie the discharge papers. "Use the ointment twice a day and make sure you finish the entire bottle of antibiotics."

Eddie had been hospitalized for three days. She had kept her fever down and the wound stopped oozing so the doctor cleared her to go home. "Most importantly, you must rest and not over use your arm."

Eddie nodded, her arm still ached so badly she didn't think she could over use it. "Dr. McGee wishes to see you in one week to determine if you will be able to have your surgery on the 19th or if they'll have to postpone."

Jamie sighed, "We can't postpone very much, can we? She has a tumor the size of a golf ball that is spreading through her body like wildfire."

The nurse nodded, "I understand, but she has to be well enough to endure the surgery, it's a drastic procedure."

"I haven't actually decided what option I'm taking," Eddie replied. She knew in her heart what she had to do but it was frightening to think about.

The nurse left stating she was free to leave the hospital. The transporter came to wheel her out to where Danny was waiting with the car. "We thought the SUV would be a smoother ride for you," he stated. "You can rest in the backseat. Linda is at your place with the kids getting your room ready."

Eddie was grateful for this family and everything they were doing for her and Jamie. Jamie helped her in and fastened her seatbelt. "Danny, do you have the blanket? She's going to get cold back here."

Danny provided the blanket and Jamie wrapped Eddie in it. He got into the back seat with her so she could rest her head on his chest if she needed to do it. "I'm getting better, Jamie," Eddie assured him. "Please don't waste your coddling now, I'm sure I'll need a ton of it as this goes along."

"Still, you were just in the hospital for three days and I just want to get you home into our bed where you belong. You can't have rested well with the poking and prodding they do in there."

"No," Eddie admits. "And I missed you beside me."

After the first night, they had made Jamie leave at 10 pm. He slept at his dad's to be near the hospital but truth was neither he nor Eddie got much sleep.

The ride home was short, there was no traffic. Jamie helped Eddie from the car while Danny took her bag. When she walked into the house it was clean and neat. There was a huge "Welcome Home Mommy" sign on the fireplace mantle. Both children couldn't be contained, they rushed to hug their mother. They had been only allowed to see her for a short time each day.

Eddie dropped and held both of her children close, "I missed you so much..." She felt her throat tighten with emotion at how much she'd missed her children. "Are you being good for Aunt Linda and Grandpa?"

"They've been angels," Linda told her. "Joey, what did you want to show your Mommy?"

Joey took Eddie's hand and led her to the bedroom. They had her favorite nightgown laid out, the comforter she used when they were sick and cuddled in the big bed with her, a small fridge with snacks and drinks, and the DVD player had been moved into the bedroom. "We made it for you with Uncle Danny," he said proudly. "So you can rest and get better."

Eddie's heart swelled, "Thank you sweetheart." She kissed her son's face and Lila's nose. "What if Mommy gets comfortable and we all watch a video together? What do you think Daddy?"

Jamie wanted her to rest, but he knew their kids needed her to act herself to feel secure. "I think it's a great idea."

Linda helped Eddie get changed. "The wound looks much better and the skin color is becoming normal again. How are you feeling?"