Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Eddie sat with Linda as the radiologist read her mammogram. Her breast was sore from the pressure of the machine. Linda held her hand tight. "At least you will know and can have all the information when you talk to Jamie."

"I don't intend to tell Jamie any of this if there's no reason to do it. He pulled a new rough case and I don't want him distracted."

Linda nodded, "If it is something?"

"Then I'll have to talk to him, I won't lie to him. I'm trying to protect him from worrying over a pulled muscle and some swelling."

"Mrs. Reagan, Dr. Jacobs can see you now," the receptionist said. Linda offered to come back with her and Eddie nodded yes. Hand in hand the two women waited as Eddie's images were put on the screen. "You can see a deep density in the left breast in line with the nipple and encroaching on the arm pit. This absolutely must be looked into more extensively. It could be a cyst or it could be a tumor."

"Cancer?" Eddie asked looking at Linda.

"Not necessarily, some tumors are not cancerous but given the size and the placement of this mass it is concerning. We'd like to get you a biopsy right away."

"Today?" Eddie asked. "Now? I have to get home to my kids. I have things to do."

"The procedure will only take a few hours. You can go home as soon as the medication wears off."

"I'll call Jamie and have him come down..."

"No, no. I will come tomorrow morning. I don't want to worry Jamie. Linda can you watch my kids tomorrow?"

She nodded, "Of course I will, I'll switch my shift now."

Eddie looked at her with grateful eyes, "Thank you so much, I promise if this come back positive I will tell Jamie everything."

Eddie made her appointment for 10 then headed home to Staten Island thinking about what she'd just been told. Jamie was home, she had to get control of herself so her detective husband did not read her face and know she was scared.

"Damn it," Jamie swore slamming his fist down on the table.

Lila's face turned to surprise, "Daddy, you said the D word."

"Daddy is upset, honey," he sighed. "Go and color your book for a little bit. Mommy will be home soon."

Lila nodded and went to color a picture. Jamie and Gordo studied the case file again, "Okay, other males in the home would be a partial DNA match to the little girl. Did the coach say anything when you got the DNA sample? Anything about why he was driving Harper home?"

"Nope, he coughed up the sample then lawyered up. He's hiding something but he's not our guy, not for this."

"Let's run him through NCIC and the sex offender system and see if he pops. If he does we can use it, he's working at a day camp, if he's on the list..." Jamie agreed with the angle and sighed. "Tomorrow we'll pay a visit to the Anderson house. See if there are any males in the home. In hindsight, Mom was just a little too eager to point a finger."

Eddie came in as the conversation wound up. "Hey, you were gone a long time," Jamie observed.

"Yeah, we got to talking and ran into traffic on the Verrazano. Was she okay for you?"

Lila came running out of the bedroom, "Mommy, I was waiting for you!"

Eddie hugged her little girl, "You were? Let's go and pick up you brother then we'll see about dinner. Jamie, are you still working?"