Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Just lie back and relax," the nurse instructed as she hooked Eddie up to her chemotherapy line. "The infusion will take a few hours, then we'll see how you are feeling. You can go home after the infusion is over."

Eddie sighed. She already had blood drawn and a saline IV. Now the nurse had inserted the canula into her vein and was beginning her first full dose. The doctor explained how it would work. An infusion today, then another in twenty days and so on. She would see the doctor on day nine and day nineteen. In between that time, she would be receiving radiation. It sounded daunting because it was.

Jamie went back to work three days ago. Eddie had regained about 80% of her arm function but had plateaued the last week. The edema was still present but that was subsiding too. All in all she was feeling pretty good, but after today, who knew?

Linda was at her side as the drugs started to flow into her veins. She had brought a portable DVD player and some old movies to watch. Jamie had pulled the 8-4 tour and would be home to take care of things if Eddie needed. "Oh I love this film," Eddie laughed when she saw Cheaper by the Dozen on the screen.

"Danny used to tease Jamie he was FedExed because he was so much more patient and calm that the rest of the Reagans, even more than Erin," Linda remembered.

"I wish he'd show more of that famous patience with Joey," Eddie sighed. "He's been out of line, I admit that but it's not easy on a seven year old boy to watch their mom be sick. A few nights ago, I over did it and used my arm too much. It swelled up really badly so Joey went to get the ice pack for me like he's seen Jamie do. He spilled some stuff out of the freezer and Jamie just went off on him. Yelling at him, punishing him with a time out. And he won't listen to me Linda."

Linda paused the movie, "Jamie is under a lot of stress, just like you are, but I agree he shouldn't be taking it out on Joey. Tell you what, after you feel like yourself again from this treatment, I'll take the kids and you and Jamie have a heart to heart. In the meantime, have Frank or me or someone from the family there just to provide support."

Eddie wasn't sure. They wanted to keep things normal but at the same time she was concerned about Jamie's stress. "He's worried about so much. He's not eating well and he's not sleeping. Maybe Danny can talk to him, Frank has tried and hasn't listened to him. He just keeps saying that it's not the same as when his mom was sick..."

"It's not, you have very young children," Linda said with sympathy in her voice. "And they process differently, and they always find a way to make things their fault."

"My baby boy is hurting so much and I don't know what to do for him. I hold him all I can and I tell him how proud I am of him. He's excited about his game on Saturday..."

"His game is Saturday. Eddie, you probably won't be able to go. You are going to be experiencing side effects by then and with this cocktail they are strong."

"I have to be there, Linda. I haven't missed one of Joey or Lila's events, I'm not going to start now."

Linda admired Eddie's tenacity, but that was no match for a chemo cocktail.

The three hours passed quickly with movies and conversation. Linda drove Eddie home and set her up on the sofa. "Take this pill on schedule. You'll still feel lousy but it will help take the edge off. Are you sure you don't want me to stay, I can call Jack and have him get the kids from school in the squad car? That might be easier than you meeting their bus."

"No, I'll be fine. I have my water, my trash can...and the remote. I'm just going to lie here and wait for my kids. Jamie will be home by 4:30 and if he's late, Frank is going to come over to help."