Chapter Five

Thank you belem_loves_1D for making this cover!

---

The next morning, it wasn't a surprise that as soon as it was time to clean up the mess from the party, Nikki was nowhere to be found.  

I knew she was just with her mate, but she was the one who arranged most of the mess! 

I slept surprisingly well, considering that I had to sleep in Mikko's bed. My back didn't hurt as much anymore and I felt weirdly energetic.  

That's probably why I had a huge breakfast made before I started cleaning.  

"What are you doing, super mom?" I spun around when I heard JJ's voice.  

"Um, just cleaning," I said slowly. I wasn't sure why he was still here. After Mikko's little altercation with the alpha, his pack had been forced to leave, JJ included.  

"Can I help?" he asked with a charming smile. Years ago it would've worked, not so much now. "It's the least I can do seeing as nothing went over smoothly yesterday." 

I thought about telling him to go shove it, but the mess was really overwhelming.  

I threw the roll of garbage bags at him. "Sure." 

It was nice having JJ helping. Once the inside of the house was clean, we moved to the outside.  

The weather was awesome in April. It was warm and sunny. It felt amazing to be outside without having to keep an eye on the kids and just enjoy the time alone.  

Well... almost alone.  

"Are you daydreaming?" JJ asked with a laugh.  

I shrugged and started tossing garbage from the tables into my bag. "Maybe. Maybe not." 

"I know what you look like when you do most things," he teased.  

I rolled my eyes and stopped cleaning the mess. It had been a long time since I had seen JJ. I was a different person now. "So then, what do I look like when I daydream?" 

"Well, it's a little different now," he stopped shoving cans into the bag he had to look at me, "but you still get that look in your eyes. You get a serene expression whenever you're gone." 

I scoffed. "Does that line usually work with women?" I couldn't help but laugh. "A serene expression with weird eyes," I mimicked the dreamy voice he had been going for.  

JJ shrugged sheepishly and cleared his throat before returning to his task, double time. "Doesn't make it any less true." He was defensive now.  

His pride was wounded. That kind of sweet talk probably worked most of the time for him.  

I stopped laughing and composed myself. "I'm sorry JJ, I didn't mean to offend, or anything." 

He let out a short laugh that sounded real, but felt fake. "It's okay, Em. Things are different now."