Chapter 35

Another installment of the battle ;) 

~*~*~ 

I was high above the ground watching as Death Eaters flooded the grounds, it was sickening to watch from this high up. I hadn't thought about that part, or the dementors that I felt chilling my bones, they stayed to the forest, but even that was close enough to feel their presence. 

"Kayley!" I heard Oliver shout and I twisted around in a quick movement just in time to miss a curse, I grinned over at him as he flew close. "If you get hurt or die out here Fred and George will have my head, so stop spacing!" He cautioned. 

I smiled slightly, "right. Sorry," I nodded and flattened myself against my broom, surveying the scene. The task was simple enough, Wood would spot the Death Eaters, put a marker on them and I would hit the target. His eyes were far better than my own in the dim lighting, after all they had to be. He was quidditch captain while here and was still playing professionally. 

We were circling the grounds toward the pitch, "should we check inside at all?" I called over to him as we made random movements in the air. Trying to hit as many Death Eaters as possible. 

"Too dangerous and we'd give ourselves away, don't worry, the others are handling the insides well enough," Oliver nodded. 

We'd been able to get a total of ten fliers total, five were flying the halls and five were outside along with us. I heard a thumping and looked at the forest, noticing a few trees shake violently. 

"I don't think that's a good sign," I muttered and pointed to the shaking trees. 

"We'll be ready for it," Oliver said as we zoomed to the pitch. 

When we were close enough I watched as people pointed their wands at it and sparks shot out, it suddenly catching fire. 

"Come on!" Wood said panicked before taking off as fast as the brooms could handle. 

But it was too late, there was nothing we could do as the pitch erupted in fire, Oliver screamed in anger and stunned every cloak that stood by the flames without a second thought. Everyone we saw were down, I looked over at Oliver and frowned as I patted his shoulder. 

"Come on, Wood. We have work to do," I said softly, he nodded. I knew how he felt, it was like watching your home and everything burn to the ground into ash....That's what Oliver was experiencing as he quietly wiped his eyes. 

"Look at the forest," he instructed, his voice dead and haunting. I looked over my left and saw them, disgusting giant spiders....they were running for the castle. I sprung to action, pushing all my heart into the spell as I pointed at the ground. 

"Reducto!" I roared forcefully, there was a rumbling as many of the spiders were tossed back from the spell. Instantly Oliver and I got to work along with two other fliers from Hufflepuff. Any spider that managed to get away ran for the grounds, then the giants appeared. I flinched away as they tried to grab us out of the air, and the four of us rose higher in the air, trying to avoid them. 

"Come on, we have to stop them!" Oliver shouted. "You, Ernie! Go and find the other fliers, we need everyone out here on the giants now!" 

Oliver flew off and managed to dodge a giant's club, I felt my broom yanked underneath me and I was falling fast. I would've screamed but what was the point? I pointed at the ground and shouting, "arresto momentum," as I fell. 

I fell with a thump and groaned as I got to my feet which resulted in a horrible pain in my left leg, a roar sounded behind me and I knew the giant that had pulled on my broom was still targeting me. I started to run for it but quickly fell from the shock in my limbs. The stomping was shaking the ground as the giant ran for me, I pushed myself up and quickly hurried, noticing that I was dragging my left leg behind me at this point. I dove underneath an overturned statue just as the giant tried to grab me. I shot a spell at it from my hiding spot but it didn't fall. It continued grabbing for me, I moved further under the statue-making myself as small as possible-until it eventually gave up and marched toward the castle.