Chapter 15

Dedication: because you deserved it ;)

~*~*

The tension in the kitchen could be felt through the entire house, I clasped my chest as my panic attack continued to eat away at me. Just standing here looking at the two redheads, I could feel just how much they hated me. I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't be here.

"Um...Ron...thank you for inviting me but I think I should get going now," I whispered and backed away and out through the door with my bag.

"Kayley, wait!"

I turned, there was Fred running after me, "I'm leaving, just like you want. I'm sorry for showing up....just part of me didn't want to be alone for my birthday," I willed my heart to be strong but it was breaking with every step Fred took towards me.

"That's the thing, I don't want you to leave," Fred said as he got closer. My heart stopped before picking up its pace.

"From the tension I could feel, yes you do."

"That's all George, not me," he gave a comforting smile.

"You don't have to pretend, I know-"

He took my arms in his hands and smiled, "I know what George did and I'm sorry. I felt exactly the same as he did, but I would never tell you to stay away like that."

I took a step back, "don't lie."

Fred rolled his eyes, taking one of my hands and placing it on his chest. His broad, well toned, beater's build...chest. I shook my head as I tried to retract my hand but Fred was relentless and he pressed my hand harder on his chest. "I would never tell you to get out of my life." His heartbeat was steady as he repeated what he said.

"Then why didn't you write? Why are you waiting until now?"

"George didn't tell me you visited until two days ago."

"That won't replace all the sleep I've-"

"Don't use my lines against me, Kayley," Fred growled, his eyes flashing dangerously.

"I was all alone..." I whispered.

"So was I," his voice was velvet soft.

"I can't stay here," I shook my head.

"What will you do for  your birthday then? Everyone is here," Fred questioned.

I looked at my feet, "I don't care, I just can't be here. George wants me dead."

"He doesn't want that," Fred sighed, "he just...he was worried and then when you finally wrote to us, he lost it...and it just esscalated from there."

I bit my lip and shook my head, "I'll only ruin Christmas if I'm around."

Fred looked hurt as I stepped away, "please tell your mum I'm sorry but I won't be staying after all."

"Where will you go?" Fred asked, he looked pained.

"I'll figure something out," I shrugged.

Fred grasped my shoulders, "stay. I'll make it worth your while."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "I'm sorry, Freddie." I walked pass, heading away from the house but Fred took my hands and spun me so I was facing him. Without warning or even a second thought, his lips were on mine in a sweet kiss.

"I'm begging you to stay, Clay," his voice was velvet as he persuaded me, his forehead rested against mine as we stood there.

"I'll only ruin things...Have a Merry Christmas, Freddie," I whispered before taking a step away. He looked hurt, I'd never seen him looked so pained--I didn't know it was possible.