Chapter 9

We're riding.

Wind blows hard against my face, but I don't complain.

I feel free.

I can feel his rock-hard body flexing underneath my forearms as he tightens and loosens his grip on the handles. I reluctantly close my eyes so that I can bury my face into his jacket. His scent registers in my nose, and I eagerly invite it in by breathing deeply. Out of nowhere, a chill runs down my spine and I shiver. I can tell he notices, but doesn't take his eyes off of the road. My mind goes blank. I block out all other sounds and smells and only pay attention to him. He is my escape, and for a second, I don't care who sees us together.

I just want him forever and always.

He takes an abrupt right turn and my eyes shoot open. I take in all the sights, smells, and sounds of our date venue. There are people running around everywhere, flowing from one spot to the next. Popcorn and hotdogs are the main things I smell, though the scent of soft pretzels and nachos are also strong. I hear shouts and laughs echo from every direction as Paul's bike comes to a slow stop in the street. He turns to me, my mouth gaping wide open, scanning our surroundings.

A light laugh wakes me from my daze. I look to see him still laughing. Without thinking, I rise from the bike and hop to the ground. He follows my lead, and when we are both standing, I look into his deep green eyes.

Right away, I miss the connection we had on his bike. I miss my arms around his waist, and our bodies fitting together like puzzle pieces. The warmth that I got from his body is gone, and I'm left cold inside.

"Are you..disappointed?" I can see his face fall out of the corner of my eye, but I stay quiet. "We can go somewhere else if you want," his disappointment breaks my heart.

"Are you kidding? I love carnivals," I answer with a nudge to his side.

He puts the helmet down on the seat of his bike and brings his hands to my face. His thumbs rub small circles on my cheeks. I stare into his eyes.

"And I love you," he says. He brings my lips to his in one swift move.

I giggle into his mouth and gently push his chest away from mine.

"I love you too, Paul. But, I don't think we should really be doing that kind of thing in public. What if Ian is here and sees us?" I quickly look to the entrance of the carnival, expecting Ian to come barreling towards us any moment.

He nods in agreement, and starts to turn away from me, but then he turns back around and lifts me up off of the ground into his arms. He twirls me around and I giggle uncontrollably.

"Ian who?" He lands a soft peck on my cheek.

"I'm serious!" I whisper back, trying to sound serious. My giggles aren't making my case very convincing.

"I am too." He twirls me around again and my hands move from his chest to the back of his neck as my fingers play with the ends of his hair. "Nina, you're the one who told me to realize that I don't have to pretend anymore. You helped me see that my feelings for you shouldn't be kept in a box because I'm scared of how much I want you." He places his forehead to mine and smiles. Oh, God, I love his smile. "You're not having second thoughts, are you?" He smirks. I can tell he's only teasing, but I sense a hint of worry in his question.

"Of course not. There's nowhere I would rather be on this beautiful, yet cold, Sunday evening than here in your arms."

My lips find his and he smiles into my mouth. He lets me down from his embrace, and I groan, and he laughs at my disapproval.

"Now.." He clears his throat. "Shall we?" He holds out his hand to me and gives me a serious look that he's so obviously faking.

"We shall." I return the gesture and take his hand in mine. We walk to the front gate of the carnival.

This Wasn't Suppose To HappenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara