Chapter 4

The light seeping through the ceiling-to-floor windows creeps into my thoughts.

I sigh.

Last night I gave into what I want. It felt right, but it's no longer last night. It's the morning, and the moment is gone.

I have no idea how to bring that blissful moment back.

I open my eyes to see my arms empty.

Nina and all remnants of her presence are gone.

A knock on the door shakes me from my slight sadness. I go to answer it. I quickly grab a shirt from the dresser before opening the door.

Ian stands before me with an exasperated expression on his face.

"Hey. Is..is something the matter?" I ask, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Where's Nina?" he asks, as if he knows the answer.

"I-I don't know," I say shakily.

It's not a total lie.

I really have no idea where she is now.

"Bullshit," he spits back.

I flinch at his harsh comment, yet motion for him to come in.

"Is this where she's been all night? With you?" he steps through the door and turns to face me.

I sigh as I turn to him.

"Ian. You have to understand something. I didn't ask for this to happen. It was never supposed to happen. I tried to tell her, but she-" he scoffs and then bursts into laughter.

I look at him in complete shock as he regains his control.

"So you're blaming this on her? You're saying she forced you to sleep with her? It was one-sided?" he shouts at me.

"No, of course not. And we never-" I shake my head and try to explain.

"So you did want it to happen?" he questions angrily.

I attempt to swallow and speak, but the right words get caught in my throat.

"Yes. But I tried to fight it. I tried my best to push her away and stop anything from happening. It just..didn't work the way I expected. But we didn't have sex," I blurt out.

He nods and a smile creeps at the corners of his mouth. I raise my eyebrow in his direction.

"You need to wake up, Paul," he simply says.

"Excuse me?"

"You need to wake up and realize that she's just confused. She doesn't want you. She doesn't love you. She was just showing you a good time. And you're delusional if you think otherwise. Wake up," he goes to the door and opens it just before turning back to me. "Wake up," he repeats.

I don't answer. I just stare at him in bewilderment.

"Wake up!" he screams just as I wake up to see Nina next to me, shaking me carefully.

I'm screaming at the top of my lungs. I'm gasping for air. I'm choking on nothing.

I feel like I'm underwater. Scratching the surface, praying that the light saves me from the terror of darkness.

My breathing finally slows as a hand is placed on my face and I look up to see the most beautiful woman in the world. I can see the worry in her eyes and feel the terror radiate from her hand as it trembles against my cheek.

I fall back onto the pillow and close my eyes. She moves her hand from my face and skims my lips with her fingers. I keep my eyes shut and hold my breath in fear that she'll stop.