Chapter Thirty

I covered my mouth and turned away, trying not to retch. Ghirahim saw me and hopped up onto the ledge. Concern was etched all over his face but I shook my head, "Don't come over here Ghirahim!" I warned with a pleading look.

Of course he didn't listen. He rushed over, and looked over my shoulder. His eyes widened then his face crumpled in pain, disgust and anger. Zeefa screamed and Lumious hurled.

On the other side of the ledge, were piles and piles of corpses in a room so large I couldn't see the other end.

And all of them were children.

I forced myself to look, scanning the awful scene quickly. They had been taken recently too. The smell was fowl and the blood was fresh. As I swept over it once more, my eyes caught a specific little girl and I lost it. My vision blurred and my stomach tightened so hard I lost control. Ghirahim gave me a moment to gather myself before rubbing my back soothingly. Oddly enough, I only found it annoying I moved away and turned back, tears forcing themselves down my face.

"That little girl we saved at Skyloft. She's down there!"

Shock lit up in Ghirahim's eyes as he looked around. I saw his eyes zero in on the spot I saw her laying in, half eaten. His upper lip curled back in a snarl. His fists tightened until his knuckles were white and he roared in anger, kicking at random rocks. I guess he has a harder time controlling his grief. When his little fit was over he collapsed to the ground, holding his head in his hands.

"How could I let this happen?"

I didn't have the mind to tell him again this wasn't his fault and that it had been going on since before his time. I was busy plotting revenge for the little children. Zeefa was crying in a corner, and I think Lumious was still in shock. It seems I'm the only one who can still think. Ironically so, because these were my people! I took a deep breath in and straightened myself up. We need to lure DeLuc in here, and do something with their bodies. On Skyloft we burn bodies as an old tradition to honor their life. In my mind, these children are no different.

I readied a fire arrow, noting how low were were getting on arrows, and aimed it at a lantern above the bodies.

"What are you doing?" Ghirahim exclaimed, horrified. I explained my plan quickly then let the arrow fly. It hit the lantern, which was surprisingly made out of some sort of wood. In a moment it fell onto the bodies, creating a wave of flame that was so bright I had to shield my eyes. This ought to get DeLuc's attention.

I stood numbly, holding my bow with limp hands as I watched the shadows of the inferno in front of us dance around on the ground below me. The heat of the room should give me blisters later, but I didn't care right now. This is more my fault than Ghirahim's. This has been going on while I've been around. I should have been protecting these children. Yet here they are, half eaten and burning in front of me. I'm more of a failure than Ghirahim thinks he is. And now, I will avenge them. I will slice DeLuc's head clean off her body myself!

I heard the ear splitting screech I was waiting for and a small smile spread across my face. I hope she screams like that when I finish her too. I want her to feel pain!

Ghirahim's Point of View

I watched Link with worry. Seeing something like this could affect someone's sanity greatly. By the smile on his face, I'd say his has probably been thrown out the window. I eyed Zeefa, showing my concern with my eyes. She nodded, wringing her hands as she watched Link as well. Lumious was sitting on my other shoulder, staring directly at the sea of fire in front of us. I suppose a light faerie can look at something so bright without concern of going blind. Zeefa wouldn't have a chance.

The fire disappeared in an instant. No doubt work of DeLuc's. All that was left were ashes and charred bones. The shapeless form appeared again on the floor, elongating until the ugly thing appeared again. She glared deeply at us, as if Link would care about that now. She should know she's unleashed a monster by doing this.

"What have... you done?" She asked threateningly. Link hopped off of the ledge and stood in front of her without a word. I followed quickly, worried that his vengeance would cloud his judgement. He stood up straight without a bit of emotion on his face. He held his sword in his hand loosely, as if this were a casual conversation.

"I thought you ordered well done." He said easily. I was unsure of his motives, but didn't dare interrupt. He looked down at his sword, then up at her with challenge in his eyes.

DeLuc hissed angrily, "How dare... you boy!"

I tried to think before this could get out of hand. I pulled the dagger out of my belt and tried to think of something that could help. This thing was left here for a reason! Just like all of the other items. I just need to figure out what will bring her down.

Link danced around the monster like a predator stalking its prey. It was pretty unnerving to watch actually. I'd never seen him like this. He'd always been the more level headed one, but it seems that role will have to be passed to me right now. I stared at the dagger with frustration. What is it we need? Link's arrow did nothing, and I can't get close enough to hit her with my blade even if the toxin...

That's it!

Letting Link distract her, I whispered lowly so I could barely hear and the dagger multiplied into many, tiny darts full of the toxin. With DeLuc's back to me, I threw one quickly, testing the dart. It entered the back of her head and she screeched like a banshee. I assumed by the fact that she didn't even slow down that the toxin doesn't affect her. However, it obviously causes her pain.

Using her odd hair, she yanked it out and spun around at me with venom in her voice, "You!" Link took the opportunity to stab deeply into her back, causing that same screech. I felt a stinging pain in my ankle, and felt the blood flow cut off. She must have a hold Link's foot. I whispered to the rest of the darts and took the new rope and wrapped it around her head, pulling tightly.

"Help me Link!"

He took hold of the rope and yanked hard, hopefully cutting off her air. After making sure the rope was tight, I stepped back and said.

I wish it were a thin wire.

Link, understanding my plan, yanked harder as it thinned down enough to pinch off her head. The vile, reptilian plant creature like thing fell to my feet. Her already grey eyes darkened as her body fell to a heap on the ground amid the ashes that surrounded us. I smiled a moment until I heard a sound.
"Take... your shard... boy. But You will never... leave."

Link and I looked at the lifeless body, certain it didn't come from her. I didn't understand!

"Ghirahim the shard!" Link pointed above me. It was floating in the air, too high for us to reach.

"I'm on it!" Lumious said. He zipped up and grabbed the shard, bringing it back down to me. I had just added it to the rest of the earring when the whole structure of the cave began to collapse around us! It knocked down the ledge we came in, which was also our only way out, then slowly moved toward us. We'll run out of air before we're crushed. We need a way out. Now!

"The wire!" Link called out, grabbing the wire that we'd just used to maybe kill DeLuc. He said something but I didn't catch it then dashed for the wall, dodging falling rocks as he ran. I worried for his safety, but had to pay attention to falling rock myself. Moments later, I heard an explosion then something about, "Let's go!"

I ran toward the new opening along with Zeefa and Lumious. Link was just ahead, but he wasn't moving. I found out why when I arrived. We found a way out alright, but behind us was a crumbling cave that would crush us at any moment, and in front of us was a drop so far we couldn't see the bottom!