Chapter Sixteen

The portal led to the home we were in before we entered the cave. Ghirahim and Zeefa were talking to the guardian who let us in earlier. She appeared distressed and tense, Ghirahim looked angry and Zeefa looked frightened. I walked toward them with caution, listening closely.

"This troubles me," The guardian said softly. She stood with her hands clasped in front of her, "We had all hoped Wenta wouldn't know of your presence yet. I wonder how he discovered you so soon."

I stood to the side with my arms crossed, "Well I think it's time we knew who Wenta is."

Ghirahim nodded once, "I believe that is a question we all have been asking ourselves. Could you tell us?"

She bowed her head then gestured for us to sit on the white bench near the entrance, "Of course my Lord." It might have been me, but I thought I heard a hesitance, or even sarcasm in the way she said 'my Lord'. I grew instantly suspicious as I sat beside Ghirahim. With our bodies this close, I felt his warmth all around me. I flushed at the thought and forced myself to pay attention.

The Ice Demon stood in front of us with a bowed head. Her hands tightly clasped in front of her as she spoke.

"I cannot tell you everything. Simply because of Netti's wishes. You must recover your memories through the shards only. However, I can tell you what he is planning, and what he has done."

Ghirahim nodded in understanding. Zeefa rested on her belly on Ghirahim's head, holding her chin in her hands. I listened as well as I could with Ghirahim's closeness and my suspicion of the Ice Demon, but it was difficult to pay attention until the Ice Guardian moved.

She raised her head and held her hand out as if to give us something. A blue ball appeared in the palm of her hand that expanded and solidified to a crystal ball that fit perfectly in her hand. A black smoke swirled inside it until a face appeared. His face was very plain. He had dark black eyes similar to Ghirahim's before his transformation. His skin appeared a morbid shade of gray and his vicious scowl revealed long, thin fangs. His long, raven hair was pulled back, leaving a single strand that lay over his eyes. His face almost appeared flattened, even his nose. I could tell by the furious expression in his eyes that he was not pleased.

"Shortly after you were taken over by Demise, all of the realm panicked. They felt they needed a ruler of some sort and many were desperate. Most remained loyal to you and were certain of your return. However, Wenta's influence is powerful. He used war, magic, and threats to take over the realm bit by precious bit. We guardians have always remained loyal to you, but hope is declining, and many have turned to Wenta. By now, you will need to physically defeat him and his followers to regain your throne."

I bit my tongue to hold back my choice words for the evil demon. No need to upset Ghirahim any more than I know this has, "Is that why Netti shattered the earring?"

The Ice Demon shook her head, "That was done immediately after the Demon King was taken over. She didn't want Demise to obtain the secrets of the realm that had been passed down to Ghirahim."

That made sense. I stroked my chin thoughtfully, "Why hasn't Wenta tried to obtain the shards himself?"

She looked in my direction somewhat blankly, "He did. But Netti created the Royal Earrings with a special connection to the Royal Families heart. He cannot touch them."

I raised an eyebrow suspiciously, "Earrings? As in two?"

Her eyes widened in surprise. She hesitated a moment then turned away, "I heard something! This has taken too long, you must go now my Lord! Go to the Shauru Forest! Now!"