Chapter Eighteen

Ghirahim waited with a patient yet concerned expression. I took a deep breath and began.

"I-"

"Twelve hours are up! You guys ready to go shard huntin'?" Ren's head popped in out of nowhere. I yelped in surprise then glared at him. He looked between Ghirahim and me then raised an eyebrow. "Was I interrupting something?"

I sighed and stood up, "It's nothing. So where's the shard?"

Ren grinned and leaped onto a nearby tree branch, "Just prove that you're the king Ghiri and our hideout will show you the way."

He hopped from limb to limb, disappearing into the trees. I gently nudged Zeefa, who was still snoozing away on her rock. She didn't wake up, but she did crawl onto my hand. She curled up in my palm, smiling in her sleep. I didn't quite know what to think of it. I showed Ghirahim, who smiled.

"I see she likes you. Well the stump is over there, you can tell me what you were about to say before we go if you wish."

A wave of nerves flashed through me and I kicked at the ground with my toes, "It can wait. The shard is more important."

Ghirahim didn't seem too convinced, but he nodded with a small smile, "You're right." He walked to a wide, almost perfectly round stump that would make a nice table. In the core, there was an odd shaped hole similar to the others we'd encountered. Ghirahim removed his earring and pushed it into the hole. After twisting it, the stump split in the middle, and separated enough to let one person enter at a time. Ghirahim sent me one last glance then jumped in. I followed quickly, waking Zeefa in the process.

"Wha- wha?" She flew around in a daze. I landed on soft earth with little light so show me my surroundings. There were roots growing down along the dirt walls. It seemed like much more than a hole in the ground. There weren't even doors. I didn't understand.

"Look!" Zeefa pointed to the center of the room, where a small, sparkling item floated. I glared at it suspiciously.

I side glanced Ghirahim and shook my head, "There's no way it's that easy."

Ghirahim nodded in agreement and walked closer. He moved hesitantly and carefully with his arm outstretched. I braced myself for an explosion, monster attack or some kind of trap. However, Ghirahim just grabbed it. He held it in his hand with a bewildered expression. He touched it to his earring and it moved into place. My eyes widened in surprise.

"That's it?"

Ghirahim shrugged and a blue form light took form. Netti peered down at us with her passive expression.

"Well done. You have made it this far, and the bond has grown greatly. You may wonder why a trial was not placed before you, and it is not without reasoning. However, you do have a trial just ahead. It may be the most difficult you have faced thus far. Hearts will change, history will bring pain and love will bring fear. Return to the surface. Danger awaits."

She disappeared and I looked at Ghirahim with surprise. I don't care what Netti says, that was too easy to be true.

"I suppose we should see what awaits us on the surface. Are you ready?"

Zeefa sat on Ghirahim's shoulder and I took his hand with a smile. "Yes. I am."

I felt the sensation of teleporting and closed my eyes as I felt the warmth of Ghirahim's hand in mine. When I opened my eyes, I tensed up and scowled. Now I understand what Netti meant.

Standing in front of us, with tension in her eyes, was that Ice Demon Guardian who sent us here. She stood with her hands clasped tightly in front of her. Her back was rod straight and her face was full of worry and tension. I stood ready to fight while I waited for an explanation.