Chapter Five

I felt a shiver at the familiarity of the Surface. I knew Ghirahim was close, because the pull was strong. Good, I can return soon then. I walked west for a couple miles, holding my guard up the whole time. I don't trust anything in this place, I can barely be friendly with the Kikwi and Mogma these days. I didn't want any part of this place. Not after everything that's happened. I felt the pull strengthen as I neared a strange cave I never noticed before.

"That's odd," I mumbled, "I thought I knew this place like the back of my hand. I ventured into the odd cave, feeling not only the pull, but a strange yet mystical presence. I only walked a few yards when The cave closed suddenly behind me. I drew my sword, my adrenaline spiking. What is this?

The atmosphere thickened, like steam in the air, and warmed. Something about it calmed me so much I couldn't resist sheathing my sword. As my eyes adjusted, a soft blue light appeared in the near distance. As the glow neared, it extended and particles seemed to pull to it. It built up to a humanly figure. Pretty soon, I was standing in front of a six foot tall woman with flowing, long hair and a slender waist. Something about her presence reminded me of Fi, and I relaxed even more.

"Welcome Link," Her voice was also similar to Fi's but softer and more motherly, "I am Netti, goddes of Demons. I created the Sora bond, and decide who is paired within this bond."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I am standing in the presence of the Goddess of Demons? This is the last thing I was expecting to find down here!

She floated closer to me in a way that looked more like she was under water. Everything about her rippled as it defied gravity. It was strange yet beautiful. "You have been chosen Young Hero. You are now a Sora."

My surprise grew even more, "A Sora? Why would I need a Demon Guardian? I can take care of myself!" I said a little defensively. I didn't want to admit it, but the idea hurt my pride. After all I'd done on my own I don't think I'll need anyone's help!

She shook her head slowly, her hair swirling around her blank face, "You will soon need a Demon to guide you through your trials. Something is coming for you and your chosen guardian. You must protect each other, the Surface, Skyloft and the whole Demon Realm."

This news sunk in slowly, but when it did, it hit me hard. This is big. It's even larger than my last adventure. I need to begin right away! But there was one question. "Who's my guardian?" I had a sinking feeling that I wouldn't like the answer.

"Your guardian is the King of all Demons. Once a great and just ruler. However, Demise poisoned his mind and took him over, hoping to unlock the secrets of all Demon history and power. He hoped to use this knowledge to gain a demonic army and take control of the Sora guardians. I could not let this happen. My only means of security was to erase all memories he possessed. You can help him regain them and in turn, you will become his Sora."

Demon... King? I will be the Sora to the King of all Demons? The thought almost left me lightheaded. Maybe that's why she gave him to me, because he's so important. I've saved a goddess before, but this felt oddly different. I never thought of Zelda as a goddess, my drive to save her was from our longstanding friendship. I have experience saving important people, but a king of a whole realm? This seemed overwhelming.

"When will I meet him?"

She moved closer and touched my forehead, closing her eyes, "Soon. You have met a ghost of the former king, but not the real personality he once held," She concentrated a moment, "I sense you are already tied to him, but I will make the bond stronger."

Before I could comprehend what she meant, she leaned forward and brought her lips to mine. It wasn't a kiss, and didn't feel like what I'd imagined one would feel like either. Her lips pushed mine open and then she sucked in a deep breath. My veins turned to ice. It was like the life was being sucked out of me. However, the feeling left soon when she exhaled. My body felt warm and tingly, and the tug on my mind returned, yet it tugged upward, towards Skyloft.