Chapter Twenty

I drew my sword and glared. Ghirahim stood tense beside me. "What's coming for us this time? Last time you were a little too late on the warning."

She held a passive face, "As I recall, I offered to help. I am glad you made it out safely. Nothing is coming now, so you may rest. The next shard is here, but please take heed."

She flashed a fake smile and disappeared. I growled at the spot she was and replaced my sword with a grumble. Ghirahim crossed his arm and looked up at the white sky above us.

"I wonder how she came across that power. If my memories are in order, only those with royal blood have that ability. Something that's odd..."

He looked down at the desert that stretched around us, "I know that I have a cousin. I even remember that Ren has always been madly in love with her. Yet I don't remember her personality, or what she looked like. This is only a theory, but I think that Ice Demon is the one who killed Nevaeh to receive her power."

I frowned and thought about that a moment. It would make sense. It's already clear that the Ice Demon is working against us. I can see through that false help she's provided. The next time I see her I'm going to melt her!

Ghirahim continued, "Remember her or not, I believe it's my duty to avenger her. Not only because of the Ice Demon, but also Wenta and Taiyasha."

I nodded in agreement, but Ghirahim shot me an odd look before turning his head away. "I'm going to do it alone."

My body froze and my brain couldn't form a coherent thought. At first I felt hurt, but then I felt angry, "You can't! It's my duty to stay with you and help you win Ghirahim."

He shook his head, "It's gotten more personal and serious now Link."

It seemed like my eyes grew heavy. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye, "It's always been serious Ghirahim. You're hiding something."

Ghirahim shrugged, "I need to do this on my own Link. I'm sorry."

My chest ached from the pain of his words. Why would he do this? I shook my head slowly, forcing the sting in my eyes to hold back. "What did I do?" I said it in a whisper so he wouldn't hear the pain in my voice, but I think it leaked a little in my words.

Ghirahim sighed, "It's not about you. It's not your business. You should go home and live your life. You can't spend it chasing after mine with me."

That broke something in me. Not only his words, but from the sadness in the way he said them. I grabbed fistfuls of his shirt and narrowed my eyes at him, "Quit sugar coating it Ghirahim! Just tell me you can't stand to be near me! Tell me the truth!"

His eyes seemed almost dull... the glow in them vanished. He slowly traced my cheek and wrapped his hand around the back of my neck in a way that made my knees weak. He leaned in close to my ear. I could feel my heart pounding from the close contact. His breath tickled on my neck and hos other hand snaked around my waist. "You really want the truth?" His whisper made me shudder. It almost felt threatening.

I nodded my head, unable to do anything else. Ghirahim pulled back a moment then shoved me into the sand. I landed with a thud, but wasn't paying much attention to that. Ghirahim was now looming over me, staring intently into my eyes. I tried to shrink back into the sand because of the weight of his gaze. He placed his hands on either side of my face, "Have you ever been forced to do something against your will? Something awful? Well imagine doing what I've done! Imagine... hurting someone you care about Link. Watching yourself do what I've done to you only it's to say... Zelda. It hurts doesn't it? The mere thought. That's exactly what I lived through. And now I want you to be free of me. I want you to live the rest of your life without me. I want you to forget about me... so I can't hurt you again."