Chapter Nineteen

I woke up to a killer headache... I felt sick to my stomach and every muscle in my body was on fire. A soft moan escaped my mouth as I opened my eyes.

"Link! You're okay!" I blinked slowly, but it was a lot of effort. My eyelids were weighed down and didn't really want to move. Once my senses had a moment to turn on, I could feel the damp, stuffy air around me. I smelled dampness, rot, old blood and rock. My hands were chained over my head and my back was pressed against something hard. It seems I'm in a stone dungeon somewhere. Ren is chained to the wall opposite me with his hands above his head as well, but there were also shackles on his ankles and chains around his tails. He looked angry, but worried. Ghirahim was looking at me with concern on the wall adjacent to mine in the same state. After a moment of waking up, I realized all of my equipment is missing!

I nodded and forced my eyes to open more, "I think I'd rather have just died."

Ghirahim frowned, "Now isn't the time to be thinking that way! We need to find a way out of this!"

I thought a moment, looking at every crack, hole and rock in here. "Can you teleport?"

Ghirahim shook his head, "These chains have some sort of enchantment on them. I've tried that already."

Ren yanked on his bonds and sighed, "I'm no use in here. My abilities are specific to the forest. I'm fast and nimble. But that's it."

There was a stretch of silence as we all thought about ways to get out of this. I couldn't quite think of anything, my mind kept swaying to Zeefa until I yanked it back. Now is not the time to mourn! I need to stay focused!

I heard a loud creak as light filtered into the room. My eyes rejected the sudden intrusion but I forced them to remain open. The succubus from before walked in with that same evil smile, "It seems you are all awake. Good. Now I can continue with my Lord's plan. I am Taiyasha, (Tie-Ah-Sha-) Lord Wenta's loyal servant and soon to be bride. There is no need for introductions from any of you, I know the filth you are."

Ren glared at her with a scowl, "Wenta already has a bride! You're fooling yourself."

She laughed softly, but the sound still made my blood run cold, "It is you, Forest Demon, who is fooling himself. My Lord disposed of his wife years ago. She was too close to Ghirahim's blood. And now he's wide open."

Ren's eyes widened in horror and every muscle in his body tightened. I didn't quite understand, but I took this as bad news for everyone. His breath was now shallow and fast as he shouted, "You lie!"

She smirked and walked closer to Ren slowly, tracing his jaw with a claw, "You see a lie in my eyes Forest Demon? You know I'm right, and you know it's true. Royal Priestess Neveah, is dead." She chuckled as she spun on her heel and left the dungeon, slamming the door on her way.

I couldn't quite see at first, but I heard Ren's breathing picking up with anger and pain. As my eyes adjusted, I saw fury in his eyes as they began to glow solid red. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I didn't have much time to wonder when other changed began to happen. His muscles began to... expand! His eyebrows thickened and fangs grew from his teeth. His body was elongating and growing before my eyes. His thin tails became bushy and long. It seems this scrawny demon is actually a super angry creature with claws fangs and a whole lot of muscle. And now, he was throwing back his head with an earsplitting, ferocious roar.

Ren ripped the chains off of his wrists and then Ghirahim's and mine. Now that I was free, I didn't know what to do. Ren did though. He threw a hard punch into the door, shattering a huge wall in the dungeon. At this rate, we'll be discovered before we can get out!

Ren dropped to all fours and dashed up the stone steps, leaving a very noticeable trail behind him. Ghirahim and I ran as fast as we could behind him, but it wasn't easy.

"Did you... know he... can do... that?" I asked as we rounded a corner.

Ghirahim shook his head, "I don't... think he knew... either."

We ran as fast as we could but Ren was even faster than in the forest. He was getting away! I now couldn't see him, but I heard the sounds of the creatures that attacked us in the forest. Oh no!

Ren swatted at the smaller creatures, causing them to smack against the wall leaving nothing but the toxin to flow along the ground. If Ren isn't careful, he'll kill us!

"Ren, you need to calm down!" I shouted, dodging a flying creature. "You'll kill us! Ren!"

He seemed oblivious to my words as he clawed and bit at the monsters. It seems he's immune to the toxin in this state, which is a bit handy. However, he seemed to have forgotten that Ghirahim and I aren't.

"Link, our swords!" Ghirahim tossed my sword toward me. "They weren't smart enough to stow them elsewhere."

I nodded and slashed into a creature as it passed Ren and flew at me. I kicked at another then stabbed into it, making sure my skin didn't make any contact. Ghirahim did a three sixty, slashing three of them in the process. We were doing pretty well, until I heard that spine tingling voice.

"Banes halt!"

The creatures stopped and shrunk back, glowering at us with fury.

Taiyasha stood at the end of the hall in the palace with an amused smirk. "Well I suppose I underestimated you three. However, your little party ends here! You are surrounded by my banes with no escape. Despite the Forest Demon's... evolution, you have no chance. One touch from them and you die."

She was right... we were outnumbered twenty to one. The banes snapped and snarled, showing off their fierce fangs. Even though Ren can touch them safely, Ghirahim and I are still vulnerable. I held my sword tightly watching as the number grew. We're in trouble.

Taiyasha shrugged, "You and the human are disposable. It's only the king I cannot kill, so go ahead."

Is that so? I replaced my sword, snatched Ghirahim's and wrapped my arm around his neck, pointing the tip of the blade near his throat. "One slice and he's dead!"

The succubus's eyes widened in horror. Her eyes moved around wildly, trying to think of a way out. She composed herself and laughed, "As if you would human! Rumor has it the Demon King is your guardian. A Sora can't possibly kill their guardian."

I narrowed my eyes and moved the blade closer, noting her distress. "Didn't you hear? The bond is incomplete. I feel nothing for him." It's almost surprising how much saying that hurt me. I couldn't imagine how Ghirahim felt. I'll have to make sure he knows this is improvisation later.

Taiyasha glared daggers at me with a slight snarl, "You are bluffing boy! You care for him. I can see it in your eyes."

I grinned, hoping I matched her psychotic smirk, "Are you sure you don't see thrill?"

Ren seemed to have grown restless. He roared loudly and plowed into the succubus, knocking her into the wall. She hadn't given the banes any orders, so they did nothing. I handed Ghirahim his sword and ran after Ren, who was plowing through walls and busting through anyone or thing that got in his way. Behind us, banes howled and snarled, nipping at our heels. If one bites one of us we're both going down.

"Ghirahim! Teleport!" I shouted. The Demon King nodded once, took my hand and we were gone. I only hope Ren makes it out okay! Something tells me he can take care of himself though.

We landed on something soft and grainy. I barely kept my balance and held onto Ghirahim to stay upright.

"Good idea, using me back there." Ghirahim said with an impressed smile.

I shrugged, uncomfortable. "I didn't-"

Ghirahim interrupted me. "I know, I know." He looked around. "Well, it seems we're in a desert.

I looked around and saw that he was very correct. There was nothing but beige sand for miles. I was about to ask where we were when I sensed a presence behind me. I spun around quickly and sneered.

The Ice Demon was standing right in front of me.