Chapter 16 Checkmate

-Ethan-

"How did it go? Was it a success?" My beta asks me as I walk into my office.

"Are you questioning my charm, Scott?" I smirk as I sit down on my chair.

Scott shrugs and takes another sip of his coffee, "She does have a mate, the bond between mates is quite strong."

I let out a bitter laugh as I look down at the unfinished chess game, that we were playing before I had to leave. "But if the act of betrayal, along with the lack of trust strikes them...then that bond could be slowly broken."

"Wait, Ethan..." Scott quirks an eyebrow at me as I move a few pieces around the game, "What are you planning?"

"Nothing grand in particular. Just something to weaken that bond...they'll break it on their own." I grin as I look up at him.

He chuckles and sits down in front of me as we continue with our chess game. "I wouldn't expect any less from you." He nods his head at me.

"I know."

"What are we going to do with the problem we have in the dungeons?"

"Patience Scott. All will happen at its own time."

"Alright but they're getting impatient."

"Yes, I know."

"I'm just warning you."

"Scott?"

"Yes?"

"Checkmate."

-Rosalie-

I take in a deep breath as my hands start shaking due to my nerves. I sit down on the soft bed and clear my throat, ready to tell Blake everything.

"It was about three years ago." I start saying as Blake nods and sits on the bed with me.

"You wouldn't believe me when I say that Ethan and I...well we used to d-date." I stutter and shut my eyes, not wanting to see Blake's expression.

Is he mad? Infuriated? Is he shocked?

"He was my first boyfriend, the first guy I've ever loved and I thought we would be together for a long time. I thought he was the one. I was delusional, completely delusional. I didn't see what was happening right in front of me." I shake my head as tears prick my eyes.

No, now is not the time to cry. I'm tired of crying. I open my eyes and finally stare at Blake, who's silently waiting for me to continue.

"He played with my feelings and toyed with my heart. He didn't actually love me if he did he wouldn't have done what he did." I let out a chuckle, realizing how stupid I was back then.

"On my 16th birthday, I caught him locking lips with a girl by the football field. Cheating was the worst thing he could have done to me, I didn't know how long he had been cheating on me but that day I felt so naive.

So stupid at trusting him blindly but I guess that's life. There will be good days and there will be bad days, along with people who either built you up or break you down.