Chapter thirteen

I'm back from Spain! With a chapter that i wrote there, in the rain, ( No kidding, it was pretty bad weather over there, we even had  thunderstorms.)

Chapter thirteen. Eliza

‘I need a man.’

I stopped putting books in my locker to look over at Caitlin. ‘I think you said that already.’

‘Yeah,’ she whined, ‘but I really do need a man.’ She studied a group of boys that were walking past.

‘How about Max,’ she offered, looking the blond haired, blue eyed boy over.

‘You want a serious answer, Kate?’ I asked, just to be sure.

Caitlin threw me an annoyed look, ‘When am I not serious.’

I so didn’t answer that one. She wouldn’t like the answer. But I did what she asked, I considered it. I looked Max over, and then Caitlin. There was no doubt that Caitlin could have him. Her red hair was up in a loose bun, loose curly strings artfully framing her face. She had done her make-up like she usually did, so it looked like she was wearing almost none. No matter what clothes you dressed her in, Caitlin would always be pretty.

‘Honestly, I don’t think you fit.’ I said and went back to putting books in my locker.

‘Why not?’ Caitlin asked, her eyebrows raised, ‘He’s hot enough.’

 A laugh escaped my lips, ‘Yeah, he is. But think about it, really think about it. Do you remember the way he was with his ex-gf? Can you imagine being followed everywhere you go? The guy is almost a dog, Kate. You need your privacy.’

Caitlin sighed, then shook her head, ‘I’ve always wanted a dog.’ Then laughed, ‘Yeah, you’re right, he’s no bf-material for me. Maybe just once though…’

She left of when she saw the look on my face, and said, ‘Okay, okay, it would crush him, probably.’ Again came that sigh, ‘but I really need a boy, someone I can cuddle with and make out with. I’m lonely, Eliza.’

‘Then maybe you should get a dog.’

‘Ew,’ she exclaimed, and then completely stilled. Her eyes were fixed on something behind me, and a feeling of dread filled me.

I turned around, the few people that were still in the hallway parted. Fear crept up my spine, sending unpleasant shivers down my body. Caitlin gripped my arm, ‘Relax,’ she whispered, as we watched all fifteen-or-so DM members walk past.

Xavier was with them, too, casually talking with one of his friends, Diego, not even noticing the fact that everybody got out of their way, even the other Mexican kids.

Or maybe he  did notice and didn’t care.

Xavier looked up, as if he felt me staring at him and gave me a slow smile, no, smirk. He kept looking at me, that smirk still in place and winked.

I felt my face redden, and turned around quickly. I had no idea how I had to act and react to him after his confession and our little talk afterward. I mean, he didn’t seem dangerous to me, and yet everybody was afraid of him.

‘In the summer before our junior year,  Xavier got arrested. Nobody on our side knew why, but rumors were spread.’

Lindsay’s voice rang through my head.

‘Some say he was involved in a drug deal gone bad. Others say he did something stupid like stealing a car. But most say though, he was arrested for murder.’

Xavier couldn’t have actually, gulp, murdered someone, could he?

No, no I couldn’t believe that. It were rumors, that’s what Lindsey said. I wasn’t going to believe the worst of him. Who knows, I might even ask him.