Chapter Four

Four: Xavier.

I had been surprised to find Eliza at that parlour alone. I’d always thought chicks didn’t go anywhere without at least one friend, especially white chicks, and I doubted that she was different.

Miquel was fond of her, but then again, he’d be fond of the devil himself if it gave him an ice-cream. And I had to admit, it was nice of her to give him one. She could have just ran into him and not care less. And she’d even cut me off when I’d offered to pay for it.

‘Xavier,’ I heard Diego call out.

ven pa’ca,’  I answered, and Diego appears.

‘knew you’d be in here,’ he said, here meaning the car shop. ‘I heard you going with Pedro tomorrow. Any truth to it?’

Sí,’  

Diego sighed, shaking his head, ‘I like your cousin, bro, but don’t be stupid.’

It was typically him. Always worried about the trouble I might be getting in, even though he always got into more. Most of the times because of stupid reasons, too.

‘I won’t, promesa, I’m just having his back,’ I said, standing up, ‘Now move, I got to go to my therapist.’

‘Sucks man,’ he said, patting me on the back, ‘Anger management isn’t going to work for ya, don’t they see that.’

I just shrugged, giving him a cold look. I didn’t like to discuss the whole subject and he knew it.

‘What does your brother think you’re doing when you’re off to psycho land.’

I shrug again, but add some words to it because I didn’t want him to think I’m mad at him, ‘hanging with you probably.’

‘what if I’m here?’ he says, a mischievous glint in his eyes, makin’ me not trust him.

I thought about something to shut him up and decided on the golden-olden one, ‘You won’t be here, because if you are, than I’m gonna pay your sister a visit.’

I laughed as his face got redder and he started to cuss at me, his English mixed up with his Spanish.

His sister was two years older than us, and she’d been my first. I was thirteen at that time. It took me three years to gather the courage to tell Diego that his sister had been my first. I’d never told him I slept with her again when I was sixteen.

After I told him, he hadn’t spoken to me a whole month. Until I rescued him from some mean bullies and everything was cool again, as long as I didn’t touch Teresa again.

The ground was shaking and I flew out of bed, thinking it was an earthquake. When I opened my eyes and stood on my two legs however, I saw it had only been Miquel.

Enano,’ I start, but my little brother’s anger flares up again.

‘Don’t call me that, guerrero. Mama says I’m taller than you were at my age.’

I would have laughed at his stubborn face if it hadn’t been for the fact he called me Guerrero. Only gangueros called me that, and I wanted to keep Miquel as far away from los Diablos Mexicanos as possible.

‘Mama doesn’t know what she’s talkin’ about, and you will always be an enano.’

Miquel sticks his tongue out, making me laugh. I loved my little brother.