Chapter nine

So, this is not my best. uhm, the mother of my aunt (by marriage) died and I've spent the last few days helping out with everything and all and yeah, it didn't put me in a happy writing place. so  that's why I have been AWOL

and, as always, thanks for fanning, voting and commenting. it means a lot.

PS: this one is mostly about Julio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Nine: Eliza

‘Julio!’

The smile on my face was as big as it could get when Julio walked through the pink and white doors of the ice parlor.

‘How’s my favorite white chick doin’?

I let out a soft laugh, brought up a hand to my chest and fake hurt said, ‘I thought I was the only white girl you know?’

Julio grinned at me, exposing his white teeth, ‘No, there’s Betty, the cashier at SuperMarket. And Jenny who picks out my clothes. And Mary who cuts my hair,’ his hand went over his short cut hair, ‘But don’t worry querida. You’re still my number one.’

‘I’d better be,’ I told him, taking off my apron. ‘Have you ever had spaghetti ice-cream?’

Julio’s eyes almost bulge out of its sockets, ‘You have ice-cream that taste like spaghetti. And you’ve never told me that before?’

I shook my head, ‘No, idiot. It looks like spaghetti, doesn’t taste like it.’

‘Gimme, gimme.’

I took out the vanilla ice-cream and put it in the cutter thingy. I pushed it through and long strings of ice-cream fell on the plate. I made it look like spaghetti, making a little mountain. I went over to the sauces and picked the strawberry and put it over the “spaghetti.” I finished off with three small chocolate ice-cream balls.

Proudly I presented the plate to Julio.

‘Holy shit, girl. That looks fine.’

I gave him a little fork, and he dug in. But before he put the first bite into his mouth, he stopped, the ice-cream inches from his mouth.

‘You never answered my question.’ He stated.

Question? What… oh right, if I was okay.

‘I’m fine, I’m fine.’

Julio lowered his eyebrows in a frown, put his fork down and said, ‘Yeah, that’s the second time I don’t believe you.’

It wasn’t a surprise since I didn’t even believe it myself. Ignoring Xavier had been a bitch. He seemed to be everywhere, and my reactions varied depending on who was with him. I mean, god the guy was handsome, and when he was alone it was easy to forget who and what he was.

And when he was with his friends, yeah, then he was just dangerous. Everybody just moved out of his way as if the air around him was solid and pushed at everyone who came close.

I needed to stay away from him.

I don’t know why I had this strange physical attraction to him, but that was as far it went. And I should do what all the north siders did. Stay away from the south siders. Except Julio of course.

‘Just eat your ice-cream,’ I told him, giving him a pleasant smile. Look how fine I am, mister.

He seemed to think about it, ‘Okay, but only if you go out with me.’

Okaaaaay…. Yeah, I so didn’t see Julio in that way. He was more a friend and a brother than anything else. And, to top it off, I had Drew.

‘Uhmm…’ yeah, I’m real eloquent sometimes.