Chapter Six

Six: Xavier

As soon as I arrived at school, I looked for Eliza.

Yesterday after school I had gone straight home. I had no fucking excuse , just that I forgot. My body was sore and bruised and I’d been a tired fuckhead. Without thinking I’d gone home. And my body wasn’t half as bad in shape as Pedro, or the rest for that matter.

They had been with more than we’d anticipated  and our advantage had been gone. We won nonetheless, but we’d been pretty badly hurt.

When I was home, I remembered Eliza. So now I was looking for her to apologize. Yeah, I couldn’t believe it myself either.

My search however, was intervened by coach Peterson.

‘Ah Mr. Sanchez, I was just looking for you.’ He said to me.

I raised my eyebrows, why would he be looking for me, ‘Why?’ I ask him, suspicion in my voice.

‘Come with me to the principal’s office, Mr. Sanchez.’

I try to read his voice, but it’s cold and emotionless. What did they want with me? Reluctantly  I followed coach P to Principal Swooney’s office.

Without knocking Peterson enters, and the only thing that I could think of was, what if we’d caught Swooney banging his secretary? (God knew that old creep had it in for her) That would have made my week, a little something for blackmail was always bienvenida.

Swooney however was sitting behind his desk, looking all high and mighty, and motioned for me to sit.

When I sat down, he said,  ‘I think you know why you’re here?’ 

Normally I would, but this time… ‘No, I actually don’t.’

This earned me a surprised look, as normally I wouldn’t bother covering up anything I did.

‘Where were you yesterday after school?’ Swooney asked, looking at me suspiciously.

‘With a girl. Studying.’ I lied easily. Though I had done nothing wrong, I knew they wouldn’t believe me if I said I’d gone straight home on my own. People rather believe the likely lie then the uncommon truth.

Behind me, Peterson actually scoffed, while Swooney arched an eyebrow.

‘Really, I was with Eliza Williams working on our geography project.’

Whoops, I shouldn’t have mentioned her name.

Swooney opened an envelope and shoved some pictures at me. One by one I looked at them. First confused as I couldn’t make out what I was looking at, and then, ‘Madre de Dios! Is this the locker room?

The room was completely trashed, pieces of clothes lay everywhere, lockers were opened, toilet paper was spread all over the room. The word SUCKER spray painted over the wall.

Suddenly I became furious, ´You think I did this?!´ they couldn´t accuse me of anything, they had no proof. Twas not like there was written, Xavier was here, or anything. Stupid gringos.

´Someone saw you leaving the locker room after school. Around the time this happened.´

I clenched my fists, it wouldn´t be a smart move if I punched our principal, now would it?

´And who is this source of yours? Cause whoever he is, he´s lying.´

For a moment I thought it could have been Eliza, if she was pissed off enough about me ditchin’ her yesterday. But I couldn´t imagine her doing something like this, and going into a boys locker room. Then again, she could’ve just framed me.