Chapter 23

Hey! Sorry it took so long to upload! Was on vacation and will be again but hopefully I’ll have more time to write and have Wi-Fi to upload! Thanks for reading <3

Things happen for reasons

And it doesn’t matter

What the reasons are

All that matters

Is that they brought me to you.

My mom picked me up in a warm car which I thanked the lord for, because I was cold in that house. I had made plans with Julia and her mom to go on Julia’s bus after school and spend days there so I wouldn’t be caught in this situation again, which probably would have happened a lot. This was going to be great, being able to hang with my best friend in the whole wide world every day after school. I couldn’t wait.

That night I got a text from Garrett explaining his dilemma on the text reply. We talked and I told him how I had moved and that I was going to be switching to Lyman next year. He seemed so nice and pretty chill. I was also texting Jake, but it wasn’t the same. We rarely talked on the phone and when we texted it was short, half-witted responses. It saddened me, but I kept telling myself that I’d win him back somehow. But what was the point? We weren’t able to see each other, or talk to each other. God, life was difficult.

Julia didn’t find out I was talking to Jake again, she had asked who Chris was, and I just told her this kid on a different team than us. She believed me too, which was kind of funny, in a way. But it didn’t matter, I wasn’t doing any harm, it wasn’t like we were dating or had a thing going on or anything. Mark on the other hand wasn’t sure about this whole thing. He kept reminding me how he left me and that if he did it once he’ll do it again but I didn’t listen. I didn’t want to know, even if it was the truth.

One night I was up late, and Jake was sleeping and Mark was with his friends, so I decided to text Garrett. Let’s just say he was in a “good mood” and I added on to that “good mood” by talking to him about a “night out with me”. Ended up with him asking me for ‘pictures’, but I refused. I wasn’t going to go that far, plus I never met him before. He kept pressuring even after I gave my reasons but I stayed with my boundaries and told him no. He said he was going to go to bed and that he’d text e in the morning. Of course, I never received that text. Oh well.

……

It was the night before my French class’s trip to Quebec, Canada. Melanie and I were texting each other on how excited we were and sending goofy pictures of ourselves to each other which ended in fits of laughter. Julia was texting me from her brother’s phone and we were discussing what we’d do on the bus ride up and the candy we bought and everything. This was going to be fun.

Julia and I sat together on the bus. We took a HUGE Ziploc bag and dumped our candy into it and mixed it all together. Even though it was 6 in the morning we ate some and were hyper the whole way up. We talked to our friend Grady who sat behind us. He didn’t necessarily like me, but we talked and had fun. I think it created a bond between us. I had shut my phone off for the school trip so I wasn’t texting anyone. We had so much fun we were all so loud and making jokes and laughing and pissing off the teachers it was fun.

When we got to the hotel I turned on my phone to text my parents that I made it safely to Quebec. I had gotten a text from Garrett and Jake but ignored each incase it cost money. Don’t want to rack up a bill for my parents.  I shared a room with Melanie, Julia and another girl named Addie. Nights were late and loud and filled with laughter. Days were long and filled with fun. We went dog sledding and out to ice hotels and castles. We learned more French and had fancy dinners each night. It was an amazing opportunity.

I got home late Sunday night, complaining of a sore throat. I took medicine and went to bed not too excited for the next day of school. I woke up with tired eyes and a swollen throat. My nose was stuffy and I could barely breathe. My mom came up to make sure I was awake, and looked at me and quickly ran down to get the thermometer. It read 102 degrees, I guess no school today. I went back to sleep with ease and didn’t wake up until the sun was shining into my room reflecting off the snow, making it brighter. I squinted and looked around. Ugh. I didn’t want to get up. I felt disgusting. I turned on my TV and lied in bed. That’s what I did all day.

As soon as my mom got home from work I came downstairs and lied on the couch. When I’m sick for some reason, I like being around my family, and not cooped up in my room all day. I didn’t eat dinner and after everyone was finished they all came to the couch to watch a movie with me. We all agreed on The Wizard of Oz. we settled down and halfway through the movie I got a text from a number I didn’t recognize. I asked who it was.

‘Garrett’s friend.’

‘Oh. Does Garrett’s friend have a name? Lol’

‘Gavin’

‘Well hi Gavin’

Why did he want to talk to me? Oh well it won’t hurt too find out.

But it did.