Chapter 20

You and I

Were perfect, no lie

Only we couldn’t be together

Yet you promised me we’d be forever

You said you’d never leave

A life together we’d achieve

Never would you hurt me

You promised you’d wit, that’s the key

But you’ve left me here all alone

If only I had known

You weren’t going to follow through

With your promises; if only I knew

Now you’re always in my heart

You were my life, a beautiful work of art

I’ll love you forever and always

No matter what you say

I told you I would

Now I’ll keep my promise, like you should.

Today was going to be Thanksgiving and my cousin’s were coming over for dinner along with their family and Helen and Sally. We all had a great time and everyone was busy. My mom spent all day in the kitchen cooking, with Nathaniel’s and my help every now and then when she needed it. Nathaniel made his famous Dakota Bread and I made apple pie and pumpkin pie. Yum. The kitchen was hot and warm and filled with the mixtures of smells of turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. This was the time of the year when we had a big family gathering and there was always so much to eat, and there was always left over’s.

The dinner table swarmed with conversation. Maggie and Ethan would run around the table squealing with laughter as Ryan and Nathaniel talked about their “band” and Greg tried to chime in but was just shut out. He finally gave up and moved over to flirt and play along with Sally. Alex, Emily and I were discussing our plans for that night and reminiscing about the Thanksgiving two years before when the house across the street at my old house had caught on fire. The adults were all cracking jokes and talking about work and just laughing. No one seemed to complain and we had a great time. Everyone was laughing and smiling and eating. It’s a holiday we look forward to every year, besides Christmas Eve. This gathering is larger, but our traditions for Christmas Eve were more exciting and anticipating. Christmas dinner wasn’t as big of a deal and was quieter.

After we cleared the dinner table, everyone scrambled in their own directions, us girls making our way out to the trampoline. The cold air nipped our noses but we didn’t care. We climbed on and began bouncing and talking. At times we’d end up lying on our backs in balls of laughter, but it wouldn’t be long before we made our way back up to our feet to continue bouncing to keep warm. Just about when we thought our toes would freeze off, our mother’s called us all in for dessert. We had so much to choose from; apple pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, ice cream and blueberry cobbler. Delicious! We all dug in some trying every kind of dessert there.

Later that night when everyone had left besides Ryan, Alex and Emily, we went up to our rooms to hang out and talk as my mom and dad put down Maggie and Greg to bed. My room still wasn’t set up, but we managed. It was a night filled with giggles and secrets and the famous "Monster Game". No matter how many times we had sleepovers, we always had things to talk about. We never got old or sick of each other, that is what I loved about my cousins, that no matter what, we were always best friends. We had our arguments and disagreements but rarely, we always made up. We’d spend time reminiscing our times in Old Saybrook or the little day trips we take places our previous sleepovers, even if we had already talked about them. It never got old.

The rest of the vacation week went by pretty quick, and soon enough we were going back to school. You see now, with the time for my mom to get to work and us to get to school, we all had to wake up at 5 to get ready. We’d then leave the house at 6 and make it to our bus stop, in front of our old house for 6:30. We got on the bus and our mom left for work. On way home, we’d get off at a friend’s house and my mom would pick us up on the way home from work. I’d go to Penny’s and Nathaniel would go to Peter’s.

Later that day we got off at Penny’s and went inside. I went into her room, as she poured a bag of goldfish into a bowl. I sat there as she went on her Facebook. She talked to me about guy after guy. Complained about her family and her life and everything you could possibly think of. She liked Randy, but she was hooking up with this guy Luke. She had given up on Jake because he was dating Carrey. (Ugh god damn I never win.) Her dad was a bitch (according to her) because she had to keep the door open and because of her grades, when I left she’d have to hand over her laptop. She told me how she always threatened her dad “If you don’t give me back my phone I’ll kill myself.” Or “If you don’t give me back my laptop I’ll cut myself.” It disgusted me. It’s not a thing you should just throw around like that.

When I got home my friend Carly Facebook chatted me telling me about this guy was going through her friends and he had thought I was the prettiest and he wanted to talk to me. I agreed and took his number and added him on Facebook. His name was Mark and he was a grade above me, but 2 and a half years older than me. Oh well. He seemed really nice and harmless. He flattered me with compliments and told me stories about his family. He lived with his grandparents, his dad had abused him and ran off, and his mom was a druggy. I felt terrible for him. He didn’t seem too bad, so why not give it a shot at being friends and take it from there. Maybe it’d be a good way to get my mind off Jake. I told Mark about what happened between Jake and me. He felt sorry for me and he said he could never dream of doing that to a girl, just leaving them like that. He said he could never hurt someone because he had been cheated on and left before. He told me he was different.

And I trusted him.